Urgent pH

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Va Reef, Jun 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i have an 8 gallon biocube. i ran the filter and everthnig for a day with water. tested pH = 8.3 then the next day i added live rock and live sand pH = 7.8. now i know this is a chemical reaction, but no matter what i do it stay around the 7.8 to 8.0 area. ive done water changes added buffer etc but no changes...... any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Open the hood and agitate the surface water.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

From the other thread you started, asking the same exact thing:

"Open up the top and get some air in the tank. It's likely a lack of oxygen from a lack of air exchange.

Check in a couple hours. If the pH goes up, you need to do something to get more airflow."

5. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

pH fluctuates through the day. The net consumption of carbon dioxide during the daylight hours, leads to some aquariums to become deficient in CO2 during the day, and the pH rises.If you are having dramatic fluctuations you can aerate the aquarium water to degass excess carbon dioxide. With a small tank like you have, using buffer can be a bit tricky because of the dramatic swings in pH that may occur in the small volume of water you have. Try using a salt mix with a naturally higher buffering capacity like Tropic Marin to help keep your pH where it should be.