Unresolved PH? Nitrates

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by neon, Dec 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. neon

neon Astrea Snail

The three pieces I got at the same time as the yellow tang and I got them off craigs list. When I got to the house the rock was still in the tank along with the tang. What do you mean by fully cured to a tank? sorry I'm really new to this....and my roomie just called said my clown isn't looking good at all...he is at the top of the tank and seems to be gasping for air.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Very nice to hear that. Many times new hobbyists don't accept responsibility or don't take constructive criticism well. I think your on the right track and hope you are able to resolve the problems with your tank. Please feel free to post or pm me if you have any further questions or concerns.

4. neon

neon Astrea Snail

I just did a water test...
    PH: 8.4
    Ammonia: maybe a little more then 0 less then .025
    Nitrite: 1ppm
    Nitrate: more then 20 ppm less then 40ppm
    Salt: 1.025
    Things seem to be better now than they have been in the last wk or more...my clown seems as if he may die this morning but seems in much better spirits now..even tho he does seem to have a little discolor...may even by white spots :/

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

sounds like the rock was cured if it was from a tank and kept wet till it got to your tank. sorry to hear your clown fish doesnt look good. but it does sound like the tank is still cycling if your showing Nitrites. i would add the live bacteria.

white spots is not good :(

you didnt bring the ph up too fast i hope.

6. neon

neon Astrea Snail

Is there a chance these white spots are not ich??? I really hope it isn't...The ph could have changed too quick...7.5-8.4 within 12hrs...Besides the discolor he seems to be doing well and eating fine. Good news for the day is that my RO/DI unit came and I plan to hook it up Thursday. :)

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

o good i was gonna ask about an ro/di unit; really helpful, trust me

8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i applaud you for asking the right questions but you should not have any ammonia or nitrites when adding fish. this proves that you are still cycling. i personally would return the fish until the ammonia and nitrites are at 0.

10. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

My tank is cycling currently and those parameters are what mine sounds like right now. There isn't much you can do until the cycle is completed. IMO: I would return the fish because its not healthy for them to stay in a tank that is cycling.

11. neon

neon Astrea Snail

Thanks, ill go to my local LFS and see if they will hold them until my cycle is complete...is there a chance the white on my clown is not ich?