PH/Calcium questions

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by m_lacom99, Aug 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hi all.

I have read that the water PH will climb during the day. My PH is off the chart when i test it at around 9:00 PM, is it normal? If it isn't what should i do?

My calcium is at 280 (i know its LOW!!!) is there a natural way to get it up to 400/450 or i should just go buy some product at my LFS and if so witch one? I've been told that KENT product are pretty good.

Thanks...

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

How high is 'off the chart' do you think?

John

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

My chart goes up to 8.7 witch is dark blue mine is purple so I'm guessing 9 or a little more

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

OK guys did some water tests and its turns out i have bigger problems than i thought... [smiley=wreck.gif]

Like i posted earlier my PH is high at night time... lower in the morning... supposed to be normal??? but i don't think it should be that hight right???

I tested for KH (alkalinity) and its around 180 / 190.. i know a little high to... :-/

Calcium is at 280... i know very low... :'(

and GH (general hardness) is higher than 200... it means i have hard water... i don't even know if thats good or not... :huh:

So can you help me out guys... what should i do???

I'm new to the reef world so don't know what product to get... 1 general that will fix everything or 1 for each problem? What brand? And could that be the reason why i lost a crab and a snail in the same week? [smiley=skull.gif]

i know I'm babbling on here [smiley=dizzy2.gif] but i don't feel like loosing the little i have in the tank.

thanks in advance.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OK,

First thing, DEEP breath :)

I assume that the Alk measurement is in pmm. So 180 ppm equates to approx 3.6 meq/L. That is not a high reading at all :)

The issue is really that you need to raise the Calcium levels.

Start raising the Calc slowly, but keep monitoring the Alk to make sure it doesn't drop. As for the snail and crab deaths I would be more inclined to check the salinity levels.

Also do you have any algae in the tank?

John

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Thanks John... :)

Yes its 180ppm.. in my test kit it says that saltwater should be between 105 and 125 ppm... isn't 180 to high?

i will go to my LFS to get some stuff to raise the calcium level and check the Alk level live you said.

my salt level is at a constant 1.023 so i don't see a problem there and yes there is some algae but i just upgraded my lighting so it should help.

Marc

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Marc,

Although the individual levels of Alk and Calc are important, the reltionship between the two is more important. If you look at the link I posted above you will see what I mean :) Just try to adjust and monitor your Alk and Calc so the levels match the square in the graph.

John

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora