Urgent pH and Ammonia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Uprising Rage, Jul 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

That's why I mentioned a water change. Since the tank is somewhat established there's something causing Ammonia. But for the moment I would do a change in water to lower the ammonia levels, then find the source and fix it.

Right? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Those are my thoughts.

4. Uprising Rage

Uprising Rage Plankton

I have been doing frequent water changes since the spike and haven't had the level move so I guess I should just let it sit n stop the water changes. :( I am using ro/di water n I tested it, all the levels are where they should be.

Also I have a bunch of xenias that look dead since the spike. They might be holding on by a thread but I doubt it. Should I remove them???

And thank you all. I was on another forum before this and got no help.
    This website is awesome!!

U all helped a lot.

If my tank is going threw another cycle will it kill everything?? Nobody has ever had this problem??

My calcium is at 380ppm should I dose some or leave it alone till the levels even out??

I was doing 10% water changes once a month. I realized my ph was low and raised it and that's when the ammonia spiked. I hope I don't lose any more fish or corals. All my snails look dead :(

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What is your specific gravity/salinity?

What did you use to boost your pH?

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I was just going by what he said and that was that nothing died. I stated that it is odd for a 1 year old tank to go through a cycle like that without something dying, but that is what the OP said happened; I can only go by what he said. Based on that (nothing dying), I wouldn't do a water change as the colonies need to re-establish and in order to do so, they need a "food source" (ammonia).

If something did die, then I agree with you two. Find the source and do the water change.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Scour your tank and make sure nothing is dead.

8. Click Here!

9. Uprising Rage

Uprising Rage Plankton

1.025 specific gravity. Used aqueon pH plus in the water change buckets to bring it up.
    Could it be the aqueon?? I was using API powder before this.

Nothing is dead in tank (d.i.t) except the snails and xenias and I'm not even positive they are 100% dead. All my fish and shrimp are accounted for.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'd leave it be then if your fish are doing fine and let your bacteria base develop again. Something through it off.

Did you add a lot of fish recently and/or all at once?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Look at the package and tell us what the ingredients are please.

12. Uprising Rage

Uprising Rage Plankton

There are no ingredients on the bottle. It is a liquid. It says on it safely increases pH in fresh or saltwater aquariums.

I haven't added anything to the tank.

Like I said I noticed the ph was low and did a water change to bring it up after that it has been nothing but a nightmare. Corals dying or looking super unhealthy.

I really appreciate all of you trying to help me :)