PFOs new LED Lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Jason McKenzie, Jun 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

These lights should be on the market more over the next few yrs. My Father in law uses them to for his plants. The use very little electricity and do not run hot at all. So hopefully in the future you will be alble to run them and will not need a loud fan or chiller to keep the temps down.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

4. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

We should call them and ask for a demo unit that each of us coult try for a few weeks and then pass it on to the next person :)

5. antonio101

antonio101 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I tryed to get the wife to go for it, was told if I got it me and the tank would be in the shead out back.

1 person likes this.
  6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Yeah but you could put a couch and a tv with cable in the shed, a john boy in the back and your all set.;) Im seriously thinking about it ;D

Marc.

7. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

At this point they are not worth it unless you just want to have the newest toy and love to blow out some serious cash. They are now available at a few online retailers here in the states but starting at like $1800 is crazy.

I don't care how efficient they are, it would take many YEARS and I mean MANY YEARS to see a cost savings in electricity and who is to say that you would still have that size tank or even be in this hobby anymore.

At .08 cents per kw here in my area, the inital cost far out weigh any sort of savings for me. I think PFO is just crazy and is hoping to make a few bucks on some moron with too much money.

LED's are inexpensive and I can tell you one thing, you sure aren't paying for product. You are paying for PFO's time and energy to create such a beast.

Personally I think, great idea, sleek design and excellent features but they have put the price out of the normal consumers budget.

Mike

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Yes it is overpriced and unproven but some of that crazy price got to be that dimming. Dim the daylights, dim the Actinics, dim back and forth between the two. Change the color temp without changing bulbs all on the on board controls.

And these LEDs are not cheap. Go to lowe's and buy one of those 1W luxon LED flashlights there like $40 a piece.

As far as energy saving and intensity goes there not claiming anything T-5HO doesn't already do for seriously less cash.

10. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

good point covey.

11. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

If I had a house they could show on MTV Cribs I would get the lights.... I don't though dang..... That's way to over priced I think... 2 years from know they will be cut in half just like Playstation and x-box. The newest and greatest then get replaced by something bigger and better. :eek: :confused:

12. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Way too expensive. LED's are inexpensive. I don't see why companies over price products like this. You would think the initial price would be low to get some of these fixtures out in the community.

This is not true at all. There is allot more in that lighting system than you can imagine. A friend of mine owns a electrical engineering company and specializing in lasers and laser power/supplies systems. He collected all the data he needed to get the PPDF he wanted to replace the lights for his girlfriends 90 gal. Estimated cost was $5000.00. Julian and Charles (TRA III) talk about Phil in their book in the lighting section.

You need to look at the grad of LED, output, ways to reduce heat, circuit designs, dimmers, K var's etc.. Go look for a 1- 5 W LED flashlight, 6 " long and runs on two CR-123 batteries and see how much it costs. I collect flashlights. The new Surefire that runs on 2-CR-123 batteries, a single LED and has a 5 positon dimmer is $250.00

You also have to look at the long run, .i.e, bulb life, actual W used and the savings you would have down the road. Some LED put out 130 l /W and they are not cheap. I had a 2-D cell flashlight modified to hold Luxeon V Star LED and it cost me almost $100. Each LED, buy it self is $24, no reflector, heat dissipaters or circuit board.