Pest algae again... Macro algae... HELP

Discussion in 'Algae' started by GSUBiology, Sep 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GSUBiology

GSUBiology Feather Duster

Just out of curiosity.. If i toss it in the trash, why would I need to kill it beforehand? or did i misinterpreted?

How could I use peroxide? it wont harm anything?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You have to freeze to ensure that it's dead so the algae in no way makes it to any coastal water ways, there are actual laws regarding its disposal in some states. Once Caulerpa gets into a Marine environment it's impossible to eradicate.

Where do you reside that you need paper work to acquire a Fox Face?

4. GSUBiology

Oh, I see.

This tank is in my university. I am in charge of the build. (I am also in the process of building a terrarium and a mantis shirmp tank and a fresh water).

This university is a research university, and they require a ridiculous amount of paperwork in order to get any type of vertebrate. Even if just for display.
    Only my teacher can do it so we have to wait until that's done and approved before we get anything. That's why I am looking for alternate ways to fix it

5. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

Peroxide won't hurt anything. For my little macro problem, I pull the rock out of the water pull off what I can by hand then hit it with peroxide and let it sit for a couple of minutes before putting it back in the tank. The peroxide won't hurt the zoa's, it will cause them to close up for a day or two but should come back without any problems. About 3 days later the algea will brown out and the the CUC will get it eaten up.

Just my .2 cents.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I just QT'd my 6" Foxface for a month in my 46BF. Although not an ideal space, he really showed no signs of the tank being too small. But this was only temporary (and there was plenty of macro algae for him to munch on). He is now in my 125, which is where all larger ones should be anyways. I would say up to a 5" one would be fine in a 50. Just get it nice and small and let it do its thing :)

7. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

As for sea hares, you want to get one that tolerates tropical temps...many do not. The spotted sea hare (Aplysia dactylomela) tolerates a pretty wide temp range, as they're found in both tropical and sub-tropical waters.

8. Click Here!

9. GSUBiology

ok ill see if I can find it in live aquaria. . as for the peroxide, what concentration do I need?

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Just the standard off-the-shelf 3% solution of H2O2.

11. GSUBiology

How many should I get? and do you know where I can get them?

( sorry is taking me too long to reply, but I am in the middle of the semester, and I have so many things to do at the same time).

12. GSUBiology

Additionally, there are many other types of algae within the tank, will the hare be able to take care of them all?

I hear they are pretty hard to keep ( plus if they die, or are stressed, they release toxins into the water).. I just want to make sure I know what I'll be getting into before I decide to buy it.. unless there is something easier to keep with less risks that will do the same thing?