Peroxide application video using the reefbowl

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brandon429, Mar 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Yes we dilute it 50% w saltwater and ref the corals to be dipped against the list of known sensitives

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I have 2 anens.

1 Green bta, and 1 rather large maxi-mini carpet.

I do try and siphon the cyano with my DIY bottom vacuum that I use for water changes. It takes it out, but comes back rather quickly. It's not that bad right now though. I slowly try and eliminate things that make the Nitrates worse in my tank, although they have tested 0 or nearly 0 for months. I use my own RO/DI water @ 0 TDS for WC's.

4. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

I worry a little about those anems with a full tank dosing... Can we just overlook your cyano or try the blackout option lol even though the threads have examples of success i'm trained to be hesitant on full tank doses lol

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Forgive me if I missed it but where is the list of sensitive corals?

6. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

I believe it was seabass on the nr thread who showed maxi minis being part of a systemic 1:10 run with no problem

But btas and other common hosting anemones showed extended deflation after a treatment. I lump anemones into the group out of safety but that's why its best to read other threads all you can before treating, to catch anything i've missed

zoanthids and palythoids are tolerant above all in my opinion based on posts

Sinularia and nepthiid corals id be really careful with, we have some reports on them withdrawing

Lps corals have as a group shown great tolerance but i'm sure more data will keep coming in

anecdotal input hasn't been unhelpful i've learned to appreciate and try to analyze for repeating details the web threads on peroxide that's the best we have to go on. The article writers haven't taken it on yet

lysmata cleaners are terribly weak to it

Coral banded shrimp, oppositely, can tolerate direct contact as it happens in my bowl repeatedly.

Something -must- account for stark differences in susceptibility in organisms and that's a worthy mystery to delve into

Why does peroxide not affect filter bacteria yet it has antibiotic characters? I expect all these tests of ammonia reading zero to mean we still have filter beds...

There is some truly inherent, genetic/metabolic difference among organisms to allow for this tolerance variation and its interesting to try and find predictability using only poster feedback

Id be curious to know the enzyme differences that allow some organisms to display repeated tolerance to it-are they all catalase producers etc...

Coralline tends to bleach but it returns

Decorative macro algae trend to stress...red titans, ulva etc all died as reported in posts.

Not one poster in any thread reported fish stress in a reef tank. They were using doses known to be safe for corals and that was always well below the tolerance of common reef tank fish

Interestingly we don't have any reports of sps loss, after all Simon dipped a whole Seri colony in a heavy dilution...he's been using peroxide for years based on what he posted.

I still can't believe the kind of sps these guys are testing it makes me cringe but they keep coming out ok! If any of those were my tanks id be spot treating, our posters have been very courageous so far

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

OK that was my worry as most of my coral is sps. Soft coral I only have a toadstool and pulsing Xenia. I don't think I will be doing it tonight will probably do it tonight. I will probably dip one rock in 50/50 and one I will rip most of the bigger tuffs off and drip pure on it. I don't know if I will video tape but at very least will thoroughly take pics at least.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi Brandon. I just went through this thread again and gathered some quotes for reference.

I have 2 rocks I'd like to try this on that have some nasty cyano type algae on it. Only one has a frags on it.
    I want to do the external treatment.

Can you detail the rinsing process a bit? I am not sure how much or how long to do that.

Also, if I buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, how do I determine how much to add to a gallon of saltwater?

Thanks! I will chronicle my experience and post it on 3reef when done.

matt

10. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Excellent!

After taking out the rock, frag I would actually rinse it then, using fingers/tools to remove what easily comes off

Whatever is around the base of corals or hard to get off, use a dropper or dipped paint brush to apply peroxide only to target

This is safer than dipping
    You just let it cook for a minute sitting in air, this is more concentrated peroxide on the target vs dipping

it might not even bubble using a new bottle...rinse target area off clean such that you aren't importing peroxide back into your tank

Even though physical removal was the key, the peroxide oxidation rinses clean, and kills leftover biomass/holdfasts in the rock

It will lessen or stop the organism usually in one pass

You know how just manual removal alone leaves tiny traces and fringing areas you can still see around the base of corals? The peroxide will make that simply disappear

If you don't have to dip any of the known sensitive species than a mixture of 1 or 2mls per gallon of saltwater as a 5 minute dip has worked

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I pulled a rock out finally and picked off as much as I could and basted it with peroxide. As somewhat of a plus it also killed two worms. These pics are after I cleaned off as much as possible manually.

Attached Files:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ah that is what I needed. Man that is not much peroxide.

I like your suggestion of manually removing what I can first and then hit it with it. That makes sense.

Thanks Brandon! I will keep you posted.

matt