Peroxide application video using the reefbowl

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brandon429, Mar 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I've never seen a tank like this before, sooo cool!! It inspires me
    +1 that's a gorgeous and very cool tank

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Matt that was a strange edit lol
    was someone hatin on pico reefs lol

any reef past 5 yrs old must be let into the cool club.
    B

4. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

So as of now you have seen no ill effects on fish, coral or other invertabrates using peroxide? So I could essentially take a rock with corals encrusted out of my tank and treat with peroxide where they may be some algae?

5. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

--

yes its just like that! since you are treating out of the tank, you can control exactly where the peroxide is dripped. you let it sit two mins outside the tank, corals won't mind a short emersion. Decorative sponges and maybe seriatopora hystrix I would re wet while you are waiting for the treatment for these two minutes, but literally every other coral I know won't mind because Ive done that to them in my tanks.

Then you are rinsing off with saltwater really well, externally, before you put back in tank, so only the spot target has been treated. thats the heart of the peroxide method, controlling where it goes. its perfect. take before and after pics! threads are no good without pics or a vid.

Be sure and read through the reefcentral thread I mentioned, its just 17 pages lol but it has so many demonstrations you will feel safe after reading it in using the treatment. post pics before and after here if you do!

6. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

if you use a brand new 75c new bottle of peroxide, never opened to treat your algae, we've seen these timelines in death of the target:

expect coralline algae to whiten after treatment if contacted.

red brush algae-takes 5 days to slowly die off. starts with the tips turning pink and then progresses to total white bleaching of the algae, its easily removed at this point.

green hair algae-the fastest target to die after treatment if you are using a new, unopened bottle. It usually dies or shows signs of fast die off in 20 hours after treatment! same for cyanobacteria

valonia/red/green bubble algae about 24 hours

bryopsis about 24-48 hours

tankwide dinoflagellates/string diatoms are usually systemically dosed (added to the whole tank while running) and take 1-2 weeks to die off depending on dosage used. usually 1-2 mls per 10 gallons of water. found to be safe to 90% of macro reef organisms we keep, we are gaining fast input from dosers which corals are and are not tolerant to this treatment style

we like to see full tank shots before adding to tanks, to look for small details that may impact the safety of the run before dosing but pretty much they have been safe. anemones like bta/sebaes have been stressed in systemically dosed tanks, but they recovered.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Peroxide treatments work, at least on zoas. I have found that subsequent treatments may be needed though. I need to update my pics....

10. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

Thanks this helps a lot. I do not have algae problems right now, but I have had some bubble algae and other algae issues in the past.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the additional info Brandon.

Any observations about any short/long term affects on fish with this treatment?

matt

12. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Matt amazingly the fish are so tolerant we don't even consider them for any dosing dilution. This inference came from a few different non reef fields...the history of peroxide being used in aquaculture and in fish only systems ranges back to the 60's I could find online and pet stores commonly keep a few gallons on hand as a tankwide doser for power outages...oxygenation for stagnant waters in big FO displays. After reading some old threads on that matter, and seeing the gross number of tanks systemically dosed we've seen across the web in the last year, offhand I still cannot think of one fish to be concerned about. I did read on behalf of another doser, in some ? other peroxide thread I can't recall, that parrotfish didn't like it but how many of those do we have in our reef tanks!

I don't know much about saltwater fish this is just what Ive collected across about 200 threads on the matter, ranging back quite a few years so I feel its anecdotally consistent enough to relay. Certainly no known problem in -usual- doses with the standard reef fare of wrasses, clowns and tangs

look what kind of tank Simon treated with those fish and sps:
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359&page=10

he dosed the whole tank I was like wow

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012