Perky polyps my Green Stars are not.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by PharmrJohn, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have fragged thousands of corals of every type and its never harmed anything I even put some on a few softs like a Kenya tree to a toadstool and Tonga yellow and white and silver pom pom xenia's with in a day they has all slimmed it off and where fine.. You stay in this hobby long enough you will read and hear all kinds of crazy stuff being said .. I have heard and read it said glue gets hot and will harm a corals to a blue Linka star will die if its ever exposed to air on to a water change will fix everthing :) these just popped in my heard first there are plenty more .

2. Click Here!

3. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

LOL. Someone show Tangster where the "." button is on his keyboard. Run on sentences give me headaches. But good advice none the less :p

4. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

Try talking to him on the phone LOL j/k buddy! I have been in the hobby not nearly as long as tangster and have came across many things that are just ridiculous. Corals are a lot tougher animals than most people make them out to be and handle quite the beating! The environment they naturally thrive in is much more harsh than most of our home aquariums. Just as an example of what we consider "sensitive coral" can really take...In the past i have been fragging some acroporas, my phone rang and put the coral down on top of my light while i took the phone call. Then my dog started crying to go out so i took her for a walk. When i came back in i figured i had enough messing with my tank and didnt bother to go back into my fish room. Came back the next morning when i realized i had left a few frags sitting on top of my lighting fixture the previous day in order to let the glue dry a bit before putting it back in the tank. The acros which have been cut,glued and left out overnight...to then sit on top of my light to be exposed to the heat produced from the exhaust fans were pretty dry and i figured they would be dead....However, i decided to see what they would do if i put them back in the tank. Went to work for the day and came home to find them looking a bit stressed out but ALIVE none the less! they have since made a full recovery. So, just goes to show that these animals are much tougher than people make them out to be :)

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, it seems I overreacted on my GSP "problem". Pretty typical of me unfortunately. I decided to move my Turbinaria to a position of less light and less motion to see if it does any better and moved my GSP rock back to it's old position. Guess what.....it started to thrive again. It is still not fully open, but doing much better, here are before and after shots.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

And because I am a geek and like to take pics.......here are more shots of my beloved tank. Not the best shots I have ever taken, but WTH. They're pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again one and all for the help. I couldn't have done this without ya'll.

Peace.......John.