Peppermint Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Wrassman, Mar 21, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

My Peppermint Shrimp has the "Oh So Original Name" of Peppy. I guess I wasn't feeling very imaginative that night. ;D
    [​IMG]

I bought Peppy to eat aiptasia. After taking care of 2 or 3 very large anenomes with a syringe and some aiptasia killer, I bought Peppy. Within two weeks, he had killed and eaten every aiptasia anenome in the whole tank! He did a great job! And, he is smart too. He didn't start eating my polyps, after he ate my aiptasia. He just became a very good scavenger. I would say that the two Lysmata sp. shrimp I have are credits to their species! They do their jobs admirably, and never misbehave. [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

That's a lot more than I can say for my fish!!! [smiley=hammer.gif]
    Edit: Spelling and Color. [smiley=wink3.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

mine wasnt so peppy i bought him to eat aptasia and he didnt touch em. instead he was cutting down my feather dusters like little trees. the cluster of them on the rock. took 2 days to catch em then he went back to the fs

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

People use the term "peppermint shrimp" very loosely. Only one will eat aptasia, while the others might eat it or other things. My old boss Keith Redfield wrote an article on that subject (correct peppermint shrimp ID), and it can be accessed on reefs.org's arcives.

5. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Hey Gang,,,
    What other species of Shrimp would get along with a Coral Banded Shrimp???
    TIA

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the only thing ive heard of with cbs is once you get a cbs thats the only shrimp you will have in your tank. they do not get along well with others and also very hard to pair up. but if you do you can have 2 then

7. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

I agree with karla. I have owned a couple of CBS in my long SW "career" and after the last one, I will never own another. They don't get along with any other shrimp, and will eventually become opportunistic predators. The last one I had killed and started eating a sleeping Tamarin wrasse (very small). :eek:

[glow=Brown, 2, 600]Never again. [/glow] [smiley=furious.gif]