Peppermint shrimp has tumor?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Katie Grant, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

last bit of that article posted above.. I wouldnt put that thiing in your fuge. Id put it in a bag and take it back.

"If you notice one of these animals in your tank, and it leaves the fish, there is almost nothing that may be done to catch it. They are very fast and quite capable of avoiding a net. And if it is a pregnant female (and remember, all female isopods have brood pouches), and the brood hatches, you have REAL problems. There are only three courses of action in this situation; and I truly am not jesting about these responses. The first is to remove all the fish from the tank and wait the two or three months until you are certain that all the isopods have died from starvation. The second solution is to effectively nuke the tank. Remove all live rock and discard it as the isopods may hide in it and, as some of the isopods bury in the sand, you should also remove and discard the sand.
    You may, of course, take the third option and do nothing. The most likely outcome in this situation will be that the isopods will kill your fish one by one. These isopods are masterfully designed predators. Hope fervently that you never have to deal with them."

2. Click Here!

3. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

4. Katie Grant

its under the shrimps skin so i know it hasnt left it yet. Now im just freaked out

5. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

6. Katie Grant

very true. Well hes going back to the fish store tomorrow. I went there today and told the owner he sold me a bad shrimp, and told him what it was and everything and he was like, "oh really? huh? never heard of that before?" had NO IDEA what i was talking about. And i was like yea you heard me a PARASITE. And brought him over to the tank and i pointed out all the ones that had it. So Tomorrow when I bring him back, I printed out that article and am planning to give him that along with the shrimp. Maybe he'll do some reading:angry:

1 person likes this.
  7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Great article......so much to know and so much to learn..

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

..due diligence...very good work....you are a good keeper of the reef.
    SO the way I see it...you found it and inquired..found the issue...established a solution (get it gone)...and we all learned something new...I know I did. :)
    I will be aware of this going forward.... Thank you.
    Good job !! K + come'n at ya !

LG

10. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

11. lillys Grandad

LMAO !!! Thats our Gov. !!

12. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

lol, thats funny. back to the serious side though, i would possibly take BOTH shrimps back perhaps? also i certainly wouldn"t be using that particular store again as it sounds crap!!!!still i think this parasitic outbreak could be very damaging for the lfs though!!!

and top marks for all the info on this,im just off to look at my own shrimps,lol...