pep shrimp gave birth

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by lillys Grandad, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

So Im sitting here and suddenly I hear my fish splashing around...literally. I glance over at the tank and it looks like its full of micro bubbles...except ALL the fish, crabs and shrimp are going nuts eating these white things I assumed were bubbles....so I get up and get a closer look and it is biological..WTH?,,,so Im lookimg all over and under trying to figure out where all this food is coming from....I then notice a peppermint shrimp under a overhang with lots of eggs/babies under it...shaking its tail..then I see another...so two out of my 4 pep shrimp are spit'n out young'ns....Im gonna look into how they breeding habits are, mortality and such...even the dragon goby was eat'n them!
    Well, the bright side is I dont have to feed tonite. : )
    Just thought I'd share.;)
    LG

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Thats cool. Not sure how hard it would be to raise them but hey like you said. FREE FOOD. OH and where are the pics.

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That's awesome!

1 person likes this.
  5. lillys Grandad

It happened too fast for pictures...even the ones I took of the tail shak'n were bunk.
    sorry bout that scenario:p

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I wonder if there's a market out there for breeding pep shrimp...

Cool stuff :D

1 person likes this.
  7. lillys Grandad

I'm going to assume that a few should survive:confused:...give'n the massive number and all...plus I have lots of crevices and crannies....we will see. : )
    Thanx again,
    LG

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Get enough of them, and you'll never have to go buy ghost shrimp again for the weekend river trips ;)

10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ya except they will last all of a few seconds(assuming he is fishing in freshwater)

BTW congrats on the success!! Did your coral's feeding tentacles open as well?

1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Nah, its brackish out there. I'd say they'd have at least a good half hour on the ends of the hooks ;) Heck even if they died you'd still pick up some decent channel cats with 'em.

12. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

Unfortunately, the larvae are difficult care for. If you're seriously interested in raising them, How to Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp, 2nd Edition is a book that I purchased and highly recommend. The woman who wrote that book has been working with Peppermint shrimp for about 24 years. I've found no better information on raising larvae of any shrimp type than in her book.

1 person likes this.