Pecula Clown breathing heavy

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Midnight_Madman, Jul 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

not able to swim past the powerheads is a bad sign... but from the picture it looked like it was in bad shape.
    I see the top fins are infected with some sort of bacteria/fungus, while the spots are signs of ich

2. Click Here!

3. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

sorry about your loss:(
    now tho i would buy a qt to be on the safe side

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Just spoke to my LFS. I didn;t realize how long I actually had him. He pulled the receipt and I bought him on June 25
    He is telling me he really thinks my PH is what eventually did him in.

5. 1babelove

1babelove Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That is possibly, however that fish may have already had a parasite but was not noticeable at the time when you got him.

I do suggest as others have already that you get a quarantine tank so that way you are always able to move the sick out of the display tank asap.

6. Midnight_Madman

I know. But on the LFS defense this fish did look pristine for the 10 days I had him. Eating great etc.
    He offered me a another one at a nice discount. They sell them for $29 and he said he would give me another either wild or tank raised for $18
    He also said the tank raised will not take to an anemone and the wild will. Is this true?

7. nige

nige Plankton

To get him to eat, try Brine shrimp and Garlic...always works for my fish

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

He's DEAD now

10. Midnight_Madman

UPDATE.
    My other Percula which is much smaller then the one that died a few days ago seems to have the small white spots only up on his dorsal fin. He also has had a white string hanging from his anus for about 24 hours. He seems to be doing ok, but maybe breathing a little more then normal?
    Last night I did a 25% water change with my new ro/di so my parameters should be close to perfect. possible phosphates of .50

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

your LFS guy is wrong about the captive bred clowns not hosting. I have a captive ocellaris in one of my tanks that is hosting right now... But i would recommend getting the wild caught one. They usually dont take to aquarium life as easily but they do generally have better color.

I doubt it was your pH that did him in, i think your LFS guy was just telling you that because its an easy answer. it could be so many more things and we really dont have the chance to nail down the exact reason.

the white stringy stuff is either too much fat in their diet (from feeding too much protein) or else it is internal parasites

12. Midnight_Madman

Strange. The white string looking thing was gone and now hes got it again.
    He has the same white specks on his top fine area. It doesnt look like ich though.