Peacock mantis

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Magnett2, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

It will be fine with corals are long as the are very secured to the larger pieces of rock. Mantis are known for if they can move it they will. So frags rubble, anything they feel like moving run the risk of becoming artist tools on redecorating day. I dont know that it would necessarily mess with a large open one, but never know.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

We do this because they are constantly changing their environment (digging, moving rocks) and we don't want a cave in. It's easy to epoxy the larger pieces of LR around the PVC to hide it.

BTW, make sure that there's also some empty shells and small pieces of rubble for them to carry around and decorate with.

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

+1 to every1 lol....they grow pretty slow the bigger they get the slower they grow.

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

My first peacock lived in my sump. Her name was fluffy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Fluffy in her new digs. She was FASCINATED by my computer and she would stay out in that corner all day long as I worked to watch the monitor. She HATED my wife and anytime Rachel came near the office, she would go into a meral spread. She didn't mind my chocolate lab but she hated my yellow lab. On the other hand, I can't say I blame her. Cheyenne would bark and then put her nose on the tank. Whack!!! Bark! Whack!!! Bark! Whack!!! it's a good thing it was an acrylic tank. LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Lol great info guys. I'm excited. And a tiny bit worried. I'm gunna pick up some plexiglass, where can I find some to be small enough to fit the bottom of the tank? I'm hoping that if I get a hammer coral for that tank and epoxy it down it will be ok providing there are tons of rubble and shells

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Almost any hardware store carries it, most will even cut to size if you ask nice

10. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ob really? Ok then im off to lowes after work. So it's better to have a PVC pipe as well?

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

It's nice but not required. No PVC holes out in the ocean naturally, lol. It just helps them adjust & settle easier, I've read some people say Thier mantis didn't even use them & dug Thier own holes.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Mine always did. Sometimes it took a week, sometimes it took a month. But they all eventually moved in.

I wish I had pics of Snuggles and Cuddles. Snuggles was one of the store mascots of Planet Reef when it was still open. He did something I've never seen mantis do before. He would actually use his swimmerets and elevate his head out of the water to look at customers in the air. He was spoiled rotten. People would catch hitchhiker crabs and bag them up. On their way home from work, they would drop by Planet Reef and feed him.