PE Mysis heads up

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by xmetalfan99, Feb 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

They are gut-loaded so you are not washing anything away besides pollutants to your tank.

My skimmer level plummets for hours and the skimmer section is all foamy and milky.

2. Click Here!

3. Hunter5

Hunter5 Astrea Snail

This post makes me wonder. Obviously people have fed frozen foods without rinsing and probably not had a problem. But has anyone rinsed frozen food long term and seen any changes in water parameters or fish health? I put a chunk of frozen meysis in my tank this morning for the first time and Ive never seen my skimmer spit out that much fluid. Like what everyone else said, for about an hour. Maybe there are just too many variables to come to a conclusion (amount and how often used, tank size, equipment, whats living in the tank...etc)

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

the reason why the skimmers react the way they do, is because the oils change the surface tension of the water.

As for rinsing and not rinsing health. That would be a good project.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They're pulled out of a lake in Canada, so I doubt they're gut loading these guys with anything.

6. Hunter5

Hunter5 Astrea Snail

Is PE a brand or a type

7. blackraven1425

8. Click Here!

9. musarra

musarra Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

10. blackraven1425

It's that they come up for breeding season from deep in the lake once per year, and they catch them then and store them. Breeding season is typically the kind of time when animals have an abundance of extra nutrition, like fats and proteins, to spend on procreation, so they don't need to be gut loaded.