PE Mysis heads up

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by xmetalfan99, Feb 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I use a net. Once thawed, I rinse it in a net and then go around and feed the fish.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I got some at the last frag swap. They're so big, my fish won't eat them. I was shocked that a cube had like 4 shrimp in it, and there was just so much oil in them it was absurd.

OTOH, they're doing a great thing. The mysis are from Canada (great lakes I think?), where they were introduced into the wild to combat a fish spawning problem (originally itself caused by yet another species being over hunted, I believe), but turned into a pest themselves since they ate too many of the fish roe, and the fish was going to go extinct. They net them once a year, and sell them to help fund the collection of the pest-proportion mysis.

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Hikari is a lot smaller and cleaner.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Black,
    I know what you mean. I'm used to using 4 cubes of Sally's being enough to feed my corals. I used 6 of PE and still didn't have enough to feed my acans. I probably will not buy them again.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Its the fatty acids, lipids and omega 3 that make the skimmer work hard. They are all good for your fish so I never rinse mine.

7. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Just to be clear, rinse with ro water, not tap...I know to most of us this is common sense, BUT just incase a newcomer reads this and doesn't know...now they do

8. Click Here!

9. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I second this.I washed mine for a little while but saw no difference.I just toss it in the tank.

10. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

is the food causing everyones skimmer to produce to much wet skimmate or none? because after I feed the PE mysis I get no bubbles rising in the neck of my collection cup for hours

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

First off if your rinsing it off you might as well just buy the cheaper stuff becasue your just rinsing off all the good stuff. I use it all the time and never rinse it off.

PE mysis come from Glacial lake in Canada, which are no where near the great lakes. There are not introduced either, they are indigenous to cold water lakes in the US, Canada and Europe. They are also an important food for trout and salmon.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What would you be washing away? PE mysis doesn't add any vitamins to their product. They have a high fatty profile all by themselves.

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)