PC lighting out

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by new2salt2, Jun 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

for some reason my PC fixture just went out. i still have a NO 40W fixtrue with a single 6500k bulb in it. this bulb is fesh last week. was wondering if i just use it until i can get lights back woudl the 40W bulb promote cyno and hair alge or is it a good enough spectrum?

2. Click Here!

3. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

What kind of PC hood went bad? The NO lighting will not promote algae. Water quality not light are responsible for algae. It will not keep corals alive very long either so i would get new lights ASAP!

If you need a new hood checkout the Coralife hoods on my site. They are covered by a great warranty and i have yet to have one go bad on someone. Plus you also get the 6% discount!

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

it is a coralife light and i plan on replacing ASAP too. i have a electrician buddy coming to look see if it is a ballast or what then will buy new if need be. i was told that once lights get out of spectrum the tanks grow cyno and alge that is why i am worried. my coral is shrooms and low light things like that so should be ok for a few

5. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

How old is it. If it fairly new call coralife and they may send you a new ballast. There # is 1-310-851-8999

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

only 5 months or so. ill call them and ask.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

PC lighting and all Florescent lights don't shift in colour very much, as the gas in the tude and the fluorescents only produce colour at a particular K. MH bulbs on the other hand can shift a large amount.
    The roll light plays in Algae blooms is due to what K rating plant life versus Corals thrive in. Plants like something between 4300 and 5500K

J

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

New2salt2, the stuff I told you only goes for cyano which is not actually algae. It is a bacteria. Other types of algae such as hair and diatom are caused by water quality issues. Sometimes cyano is caused by water quality as well, but I find it is normally spectrum shifts. Especially if the tank is well established and has not had previous cyano outbreaks and then it all the sudden gets one.

Jason, in time PCs and fluorescents will shift from a bluer spectrum to a more reddish spectrum which in turn causes cyano.

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so how often do u have to change PC's.

11. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Every 6-8 months. Some places say 8-12 but after six months they start losing their actual white color and the ends of the bulb start turning black, of course they also start losing spectrum. That is why I'm getting MH. I have 8 bulbs 2 Coralife fixtures with four 65 watt bulbs in each. That ends up costing me about $400-$500 per year.

12. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well these are almost 6 months but not yet