Parrot Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by oceansurf, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Wow, o.k. I too don't look there often, thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Yes, it is a fresh water parrot fish, if that makes a difference. One member said a 10 gallon was ok for 1 parrot fish.

4. oceansurf

Fresh Water Parrot Fish

Is it easier to raise a fresh water parrot fish in a 10 gallon aquarium as a single specimem? I thought that a fish would only grow as big as the aquarium would allow.

5. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Not true - my G/F had a pair in a 20G a few years ago that could barely swim because of their size. Like most people, she bought them small because they were cute and within a few months were 6"+ long. I told her to upgrade the tank or sell them to someone who could take better care of them and she decided to sell them because she couldnt fit a larger tank in her apartment at the time.

You could get away with having a small one in a 10G for a month or 2 but after that IMO they need at least a 30G due to size / appetite.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Many fresh water species will only grow to their environmental space. I don't know about Parrots. An article I read said they grow to 8" or more. If you are determined to keep one in a 10 gal. be prepared to return it for credit (if possible) or think about a 20 gal. Biocube or a little larger tank.

7. oceansurf

Size

It is only slightly larger than when I bought it. ( maybe 2 or 3 inches ) I'd like to keep it in the 10 gallon as the only fish. It is a fresh water parrot.

Will a fish grow only to the size that the aquarium permits ?

8. Click Here!

9. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Some fish do, parrots don't. It WILL outgrow the 10G sooner than you think

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on the comments about a 10 gallon being under sized for the long term health and happiness of a Parrot fish

if you got 1 small enough then the tank may accomodate it for a short period, but for long term success a larger tank of say 4ft x 18 x 15 with a pair of these in, plus a robust cat fish and also a plecostomus for clean up duties ( parrots are messy eaters) would be ideal IMO

For the benefit of Larry and Guy

the last thing you want is to have to return to your LFS and inform the owner that the parrot is dead, does no longer exist, has ceased to be. is pushing up the daisy's, has shaken of this mortal coil, it is an ex parrot

Steve

11. oceansurf

What is the minimum tank size for 1 specimum fresh water parrot fish ? There are no other fish, no ornaments & a powerful filter. I have a 10 gallon @ present. Will that be ok ? I know he will do better in a larger tank, but will he not just grow to the size the aquarimum permits ? I am satisfied with a smaller Parrot. Will this work ?

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish