Parents on Vacay and now tank's messing up

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Justine, Jan 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Take the fish out it will release ammonia.....deadly to other fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Like Otto said, remove the dead fish. Ugh, sorry to hear this. I was hoping we'd get lucky. :p

When does Dad get back?

4. Justine

Justine Plankton

I wont be able to go over there sometime this evening like 8 or 9.. unless I make a special trip to get out the dead fish.... don't you think the crabs will eat them? He has a huge "attack pack" of some 70 or so crabs.... will the tank be ok until I can get there at 8 or 9, or should i make the special trip?

5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think the trip will do very good. Even if the crabs eat up all the fish, their still gonna produce waste wsich is amonia, wich is bad for a reef tank. I would do my best to remove them so that i dont endanger the rest of the tank. What a nightmare. Any luck talking to DAD?

6. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Hey Justine,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, I promise tanks aren't usually this stressful.

Get the dead ones out asap. If the crabs rip them up it will be harder to remove them and the tank will spike.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Good happy you got it fixed up.. As they say stuff happens :) I know you feel better .

8. Click Here!

9. Justine

Justine Plankton

Well, I went back over and dug out the dead fish, only two dead ones! Thankfully. He's got about 35 fish and a whole sh*^ load of Coral, and anenomes so thank god none of those died. Unfortanetly, it was the two coolest looking fish in the tank. I feel bad, but, who knows, the pump could've died anytime. No anenomes have died, the two star fish, the sea cucumber and all the little snails are still alive. So far, everything else looks good, just those two fish that couldn't make it.

No luck getting a hold of Dad because him and Mom are on a cruise ship on their way to the Bahams... anywho, I think the worst part of this whole scenario is, 4 months ago during their last cruise, my grandfather died. I think my parents need to stop taking cruises... what do you think?

I still want to take some pictures and post them so you all can see his tank and see why I was fretting so bad about losing it all.

I still can't thank you all enough for you concerns and pointers. Thanks a million.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You need to address the problem of water quality and parameters as well as the pump problem. Without proper water quality, you will continue to lose fish!
    Test the water and add carbon as well as perform a water change to improve your water quality!
    Good Luck!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Make sure you check on the tank tomorrow because your fathers water parameters may be spiking right now and you may have more causalities and you want them out of the water ASAP so the water can stabilize.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point guys, but I am not sure Justine knows how to do a water change. Hopefully there is a good skimmer in this setup. :worried: