parasites on my mushrooms

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Reef Lover, Jan 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey there Amcarrig.... I did post about the light and siphoning, but I read they are all carnivores(rotifers plankton, etc...)?

Just because it is attracted to light, doen't mean they need the light for food, does it? I ask because I do learn much from you!;D Are there specific ones that are photosynthetic? Thanks!;)

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The flashlight thing is a pretty cool trick...hopefully, you'll never have to try it :)

Red planaria, not sure about the white ones, are semi-photosynthetic and are also scavengers. They also eat algae. I've never heard of them eating rotifers or plankton and considering the worms move so slow, I can't see how they would catch that kind of live food. Food for thought though :)

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I did a fresh water dip with iodine for 10 minutes. I took a change with my mushroom rock since rooms are hardy. A lot of worms came off with a baby crab I had no idea that I had and a star fish. The most awesome thing happen when I put the mushroom rock back in. All mushrooms (over 20) started to spawn ;D The tank was milky after awhile.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

A fresh water/iodine dip will only kill the worms that were on the rock and coral that you dipped. You might want to look into picking up some Salifert Flatworm Exit in case they reproduce to plague proportions.

If it turns out that you don't have any more flatworms, you'll want to fresh water dip any and all coral or rock that goes into the tank as a precautionary measure. I would not recommend that you dip sps corals in fresh water but you can dip them in a salt water/iodine mix :)

6. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I bought a sixline wrasse today to eat any flatworms left.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks Amcarrig! I am now wiser!;D Good Luck ReefLover, let us know how you make out with the wrasse....:)

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

The wrasse is doing well, and does not seem stress. I also did a water change today.