paramiters all out of wack! need help fast

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by vegasfish, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

marlinman,

thanks for the advice. The way this tank is built it is imposable to seperate out the bio balls. I placed the clean ones on the bottom so that in a week I can start at the top. When I make my food I use fresh seafood. I will start washing it better and see if that helps.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If you want, you can get three thing strips of acrylic, drill some holes in them, and use them as dividers or trays for the bioballs. It would be cheap and easy to do, but I know this tank isn't going to be running much longer.
    The filter sock is a very good idea.

4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Well marlinman was right about needing to use phosguard. I looked up symptoms of phosphate and I have some of them. One was brown spots on the glass. I could not figure out why I was getting this when it started 2 months ago. The other is reddish jelly substance on rock or sand and I have a few small spots of that.

So long story short I just ordered some phosguard and a micron bag.

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Glad to have been of help. How's the 240 coming?

6. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

just waiting for 3 bulkheads and the ocean motion to show up then I'll be plumbing.

7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

update

update on problem.

I did a 20% water change, cleaned 1/3 bio balls, added an air stone, and cleaned the filter pad. When I tested the Nitrate 20 minutes ago it was at about 50 - 80. I was so disappointed. I thought for sure when I woke up it would be between 10 - 20. I'm at a total loss right now. I'm not going to say i'm going to give up but this is really bothering me. I don't know what else to do.

I would try the sump sock like mentioned but the design of this tank does not allow it. Here is a picture of the way the filtration is setup.

[​IMG]

looking at the picture the water goes in from the overflow on the right side to a filter pad. Then to the protein skimmer chamber over to the bio balls then to the return pump.

8. Click Here!

9. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I have a canister filter that was on a fresh water tank in my house months ago. I have new filter pads for it should I hook this up and give it a try?

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Did you ever use meds in the fresh tank while the canister was on it?

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It takes time to solve problems like this, the problem didn't happen overnight and it won't go away overnight either. I would just keep on what you are doing. Do regular water changes, make sure all of your filter pads are clean and run carbon and ferric oxide. I would also suggest to try to clean your rocks off. You may be surprised at what comes off of them. I recently did this and took out tons of detritus and organic debris. Now, I did experience an cyno outbreak after this, but I took care of that and now my rocks are much cleaner as is my tank. One thing I found useful was when I did my water changes, I use a 3/4 vinyl hose and I just stuck the end into a hole and saw all of the stuff that would come out due to the suction. You could try that. Also, don't forget about your other parameters, keep you Ca, Mg and Alk up too.

12. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

If there is a way for you too slowly romove your bio balls and replace it with some chateo in that compartment it would def. help in removing NO3 and PO4. You will need some light on the chateo but you could just get a cheap clamp light from lowe's or home depot and throw in a 6500k daylight bulb. Just an idea!

1 person likes this.