Par30 vs. Par38

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Va Reef, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

dang i really like that purple look :) bulb combos?

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

you could order the par30 they do have a more purple look while a par38 has a bluer look

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

See why I suggested a PAR38 in your other thread? :p I wouldn't give advice on something I don't have experience in.

I have a PAR30 and a PAR38, both from Rapid LED. With the 38, you would be able to grow anything you want. It's cheaper than a MH or custom LED hood, and, even though you don't pay the electric bill, someone will save a little $$$ there, too. It's the same bulb in the link that you posted, with 60 degree optics. And, the color from it is awesome.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

with that size tank a par30 would grow anything as well, but what you could do is try to get your parents to pitch in to buy it cuz they wont have a massive energy bill halides tend to make

6. barbianj

I tested both with a PAR meter, and a PAR30 would be on the border of being able to grow some SPS. A PAR38 has more color options, and would be more useful if you were to upgrade tanks in the future. The PAR30's are being phased out and reduced in price, though.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i had one par30 over my 16 gallon nano and i kept 6 maxi carpets in there along with loads of sps. im pretty sure it can grow sps

8. Click Here!

9. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

its one lamp with 4 royal blue and 1 white and 60degree optics.trust me it looks even better in person. i cant even look at my other tank with the same excitment.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

haha i hate that feeling one tanks great the others a pos

11. barbianj

Didn't say it couldn't do it, the PAR is on the border. If it were my money, I'd spend the $89 on the Rapid LED Par38. They use Cree LED's are are not overdriven. But, like I said, there are some good deals on PAR30's out there. ;)

12. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

not yet but i am quite confident that I can place a more light demanding sps higher up in the tank. I might give it a shot soon. Ill frag one of my acropora and place 3 frags in the tank on three differnt levels. we shall see