PAR Readings

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by ZachB, Jan 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Anyone here test the PAR of their lights? If so please share your readings, and what bulbs / ballasts you are using.

I tested mine this afternoon and got some disappointing but not entirely unexpected readings from my bulbs. I suspect it's due to the Odyssea ballasts I'm running.

I am going to re-test tomorrow after the bulbs have been on for an hour and try to position the meter directly underneath one of the bulbs on the sandbed. With my 250w BlueLife SPS 14k HQI, mounted about 4" above the waterline I got a reading of 153 on the sandbed (about 19 from surface) :-[

Using an Apogee Quantum Meter. I think I need new ballasts soon...

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Low PAR can also be from old bulbs or bad reflectors, not entirely just the ballast's fault. How did you get a hold of a quantum meter? There crazy expensive :eek:

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

The bulbs have less than 6 months burn time. The reflectors could be at fault, but Odyssea is known for bad ballasts and I've seen many a post and picture of a before and after with the same bulb and reflector. Night and day difference with the replacement.

It very well be bad reflectors, but I plan to put decent ballasts on first before I go to work with pliers and a blowtorch on the fixture itself - I need them anyhow. I'm going to search for a deal on a set of ballasts and take another reading then.

Researching these bulbs par values ranged from 340 at 16" and 310 at 20" so there is some catching up to do.

The quantum meter is available for borrow from my local reef club. Very handy perk :)

5. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

odyssea.... thought you knew better than that ;)

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Hah! I can replace the ballasts and bulbs and still come out ahead ;D

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yeah - you told me to stay away from Odyssea!

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

all that I read is your par meter is telling you to replace your odyssea ballast... :D

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

It certainly is. lol

I did say the ballasts were bad. Everyone kind of agrees on that. This just shows how bad. I'm looking into a set of Lumateks or Icecaps.

I would still buy another Odyssea fixture. Just upgrade the ballasts and bulbs.

11. tatted4ever

Ill try to get my lfs par meter this week....

Then Ill post something here. Im running galaxy ballasts powering DE phoenix 14k's 8)

12. tatted4ever

If I was to do it over with my lighting and I wasnt going with a canopy... Id buy one of those odyssea fixtures and replace the ballasts and bulbs. But yea odyssea is good for that.