Overgroth of alge

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mirandacollc, Sep 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Hello..........I have read all 3 pages and I am newer at this than you are, so I'm stepping out on a limb to say this:-/. IMO you could benifit your tank by moving your rocks away from your glass, and making sure you have as many opening for your fish and for water flow. You have 4 great PH's but check their directions. Try placing 2 of them pointing toward the front glass at an angle where the water flow from each connect about 3-4 inched from the glass. And of course follow the direction from our fellow 3reefers;D. Now GO! CONQURE!

Sue from Salem, Or.

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

John I just contacted you for a clean up crew thank you and im placing my order tonight. I have put in a new phosphate sponge and and did the a fresh water change yesterday. I also corrected the salinity. The parameters have improved and i am correcting the calcium and mag levels as well as alk. I think that the salinity being spiked so high has made it hard to change the parameters but im new to this and its only a guess.... I rearanged the rock in a manner that I saw in the aquascape topic the other day and I have much better flow now. I as well went through the filter and found that due to the alge the filters for the pumps were plugged as well as the corner flows were plugged its amazing how restricted the flow was. I guess this is a learning curve and I am doing my best with it. So now I have alot better flow and things seem to be improving. suzi I couldent agree more and changed the water flow. I do get some brown looks like diatoms in the sand when I do water changes. I dont know know how to get rid of this from my water for the water changes. I recently bought a new ro unit from coral life and thought id have better water.....?

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

You get brown algae after water changes because you use a cheap salt mix. (I don't mean inexpensive, I mean the company cuts corners and sells you bad salt). The problem is you have too many bio available silicates in your water. Good news is the package I am sending will take care of all of this. The diatoms will actually help grow pods, so you will learn to like a little bit of it one day.
    Check out the link here:
    ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Re:Which salt? - Reef Cleaners Support

There is a pdf link in it somewhere that compares the brands. Find one with low silicates, that is good for your tank. (Check page 3).

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Ok thanks to john I decided to try a cleanup crew like everyone talks about. I got all 300 and somthing snails in the mail today and as well have been working over the past few weeks on the advise that you guys have given. I have seen an improvement in the last week after changing the lr in a manner that the flow of water could get through better I found a few issues dirty pre filters on the two mag5 pumps I have and angled the 4 korla4s in different ways. I also changed my phosphate pads as I do monthly and did a 45 gallon water change followed by another 10 to get the salinity right due to the bad hydrometer. So fingers are crossed that we should see some results. Thanks guys and ill get some fres pics up shortly.