Overflow Speed

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by alarsuel, Mar 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

Is there anyway to increase the speed with which my overflow drains? When I turn the return pump up enough to get a decent current from my returns, the tank overflows. My overflow box is draining, but not at the speed which it is supposed to (it is supposed to drain enough to turn up my pump all the way, I can't turn my pump more than about half power.) Any ideas?

Thanks.

Aaron

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

What size pump do you have and what is its flow rating at 1 and 4 feet which I assume is about the height of your return tube from your sump to the tank? Is your over flow an in tank or HOT? If its a HOT what is its max flow rate? Sounds like the pump and overflow may be mismatched.
    Does the sump run dry when you turn up the pump?

4. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

I believe that both the pump and overflow, which is on the tank are rated for 650 gph. The sump will not run dry when I turn up the pump, the tank itself will overflow. The problem is that when I turn the pump down to match the overflow, there isn't a whole lot of current from one return, and almost none from the other. The return is about 3 feet from sump to tank.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Try adding another U tube to the overflow......... John

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=fletch link=board=Filters;num=1111514178;start=0#3 date=03/22/05 at 15:37:35]Try adding another U tube to the overflow.........  John[/quote]

Good idea John. Is there room for another tube there Aaron?

7. frank_broderick

frank_broderick Astrea Snail

Could the supply side pipe have something inside? Does your overflow box have adjustable gate to let more water in?? This is all new to me also should have my first sump running by this weekend.

good luck

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

How low down in the sump is the return pump?  If its too low all your water in the sump will be pumped back into the tank to the level of the pump.  Try raising the height of the return pump and the water level of the sump will readjust to that height and hopefully you will get greater flow.  Also you could try a Y connector to the drain tube from the overflow to the sump, creating 2 lines into the sump thereby decreasing the resistence and allowing greater flow.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I think there might be room for another u tube... that is a great idea. I will definately try that, as I want to turn my return up as high as possible to get some good flow. I think I will try the Y connector also (can't hurt). Thanks for the love guys, karma for all.

Aaron

11. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

That me, thanks guys. Maybe next time I should sign in first.

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yah I have 2 overflows and I added an extra U tube to both of them and it helped a lot.................. John