overflow problems. (solved)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zgetman, Aug 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I made a overflow box like thing. It is supposed to increase the surface skimming area. But I was getting a ton of noise from the slurping when the water level was to high and I would get a flushing gurgling sound all the other times. I even lost siphon a few times, which I don't understand how when water was clearly high enough to fill the pipes

2. Click Here!

3. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

the box I am talking about is and 3" w x 5" l x 1.5" t. The overflow pipe enters in at the bottom and sticks up 1/4" from the bottom of the box. The teeth of the box are 1" tall. As long as the water is over the bottom of the teeth then there should be water entering into the pipe.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not if you are creating back pressure or have a vacuum lock. If water is not going down the pipe then you have one or both.I have never tried that style of overflow but Todd apparently is familiar with it.

5. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

To help me follow this thread, it looks like a hole in the upside down U/ siphon with a tube extruding, but there is no aqua lifter or pump attached to maintain siphon? ( at least from what I can discern via photo) trying to follow images and descriptions to help understand myself as well.

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

The break down in the system was the siphon tube at the top of the overflow. The check valves were letting air into the pipe, breaking siphon. I am going to use todd-snail's design. I will just scale it down a bit for my 55g.

Droopster likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Thanks Todd for your design. My sump is now fully running. The pump is about half on.