Resolved Overflow, Overflowing!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Katie Grant, Nov 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I would not even run the foam. Instead, make a durso or stockman standpipe and that will keep the gurgling noises well under control.

2. Click Here!

3. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

Yea well it was my fault for not cleaning it all the time then, As of what over flow it is, not to positive I got everything all together off of craigslist. But thanks for the help guys! i know what I gotta do now :)

4. Katie Grant

as for you maybe guitarman or jay could help you out on that one, they said they have the same one.:)

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i believe its an eshopps but not positive on that one

6. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

yea it is an Eshopps, they are great overfllows. i would continue to use the foam, just clean it alittle more often, if cleaned its not going to clog out of nowhere if that is what you are worrying about now.

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Katie, the problem is the huge bubble in your U tube. You need to get that out of there. I've had the same issue many times. When the bubble gets big the flow through the tube is reduced and the water level in the tank rises.

Turn off your pump, and pull out the tube and insert a piece of airline tubing into the tube from the side that will go into your tank. Insert the tube beyond the half way point and suck out as much air as you can. Restart your pump. Wait a few minutes to see if the remaining air escapes on its own. Sometimes shaking the tube helps. If the bubble doesn't escape on its own place your hand over one end of the tube to cut off the flow. This will cause your tank level to rise and build up pressure. Let it rise to the top of the teeth on your overflow and then remove your hand. The amount of water pressure built up in the tank will usually wash out any remaining bubbles.

If bubbles build up on their own I suggest upgrading your pump to one with more flow like an Eheim 1262. I was going through the same problem as you because bubbles would just build up in the U tube over time until the flow would get too restricted. Using a higher power pump cause any bubbles to be sweot through and can't accumulate to restrict flow.

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

One last thing. I would get rid of the foam and just go with a regular pipe. This way it is one less thing that will increase your nitrate level and one less thing to clean. I have no gurgling noises whatsoever and I have the same overflow. Just use a pipe cut just below the height of the compartment in the overflow.

10. Katie Grant

Thank you very much! I always try to get that bubble outta there, but I could never figure out how, It just kept coming back! Ill look into that pump. Thanks!:cheesy:

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

The best way to keep the bubbles out is to crank the flow from your pump, any bubbles that come through will get pushed through from the current. I have the same overflow, it took me awhile to figure out the bubbles thing.

12. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Yup I have the same overflow on one of mine. I wash my sponge once a week, I keep mine on so I don't get food particles and such down the hatch into the sump. Found a sweet spot on my return line from the pump and haven't had problems since.

Great idea on the back pressure of the tank PGReef!!! I was sucking water until today! LOL. I'm tarded.