Resolved Overflow, Overflowing!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Katie Grant, Nov 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

So Yesterday I was watching My tank (Thank God), and noticed the water in my Tank was Rising, Almost to where it would have started spilling over the sides, So I unplugged my pump, and let the water drop down into my sump/refugium, so I could figure out the problem. I Feel Like its putting water into my tank faster then it is sucking it back down. Now I dont really know all like the specific Names for things, But in My overflow, Theres 2 compartments and it flows through A filter pad before It sucks back down, I think it might just be clogged and thats why its not flowing good. I took some pics To show you guys, But I Just took out that filter pad to see if it would help. Cause now that that just happend, I get really paranoid when I leave home that something like that could happen again, and there would be some problems. Hopefully someone can help me out!!

This is from the side.
    [​IMG]

This is when the filter Pad was still in there, as you can see it wasnt really sucking down the water, It was just stopping when it hit the filter.

[​IMG]

This is when I took that filter out.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

probably just the clogged filter pad. remove it and it should work. I wouldn't even use it period.

4. Katie Grant

yea Im not putting it back in there, Im not home every day, and It sure as hell would suck if that happend when i was not home.

5. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i have this exact overflow, but havent had it long enough to come across a clog..

i would try running the overflow without the filter and if the problem is no longer there, try cleaning the filter and inspect the 1inch piece going through the filter for a clog. that should be all it is.

i agree with matt about leaving it out especially if you arnt home often, unless the ungodly noise it makes without one bugs you.

6. Katie Grant

Haha I just started hearing that noise too lol. But Im going to leave it out, But clean up the filter the best I can justt incase.

7. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

clean the filter pad as said and see what happens i guess...idk what kind of clean up crew you have bu you never know where those sneaky snails can run off to and clog up a pipe sometimes

8. Click Here!

9. Katie Grant

My friend had a Turbo Snail that got sucked down his and clogged it once. But I have nothing big enough that, that could happen. But ill keep an eye on it :)

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I too have the same overflow and have never had any issue with the sponge filter clogging. How often do you clean it out? I clean mine about once every week.

11. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Cleaning about once a week is probably a good thing as those sponge filters can get pretty nasty even in a week and can hold quite a few nitrates so it's always good to clean once a week IMO..what overlow is that btw?

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I had issues with those pads for a while. I used to use the water level as an indication of when they needed to be removed and cleaned. that lasted all of 2 weeks and I finally ended up taking them out all together.

~Will.