Overflow Breaking Siphon

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rexman, Dec 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I changed up my setup this weekend. Before I had ph in the main tank that took the air bubbles out of my cpr. What resulted was a burst of micro bubbles every so often.

I moved my ph into my sump and connected both cpr's to that powerhead. What results is a natural siphon effect from both cpr's that drags any air bubbles out and into my sump where they dissappate before reaching the main tank. Even if the ph fails in the sump I still have that natural siphon effect that will keep the cpr's a flowin. In the case of a power outage I just make sure my sump can handle all the water that will continue to flow from the overflows.

I am very happy with the change I made, the micro bubbles were driving me crazy.

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I hope this is helpful. I am using an overflow I made ala melevs.com and I drilled a hole in the top, glued in a 3/16 hard tube and attached an airline tube to the venturi of a MJ1200 in the tank. If the siphon breaks the MJ sucks the air out and I am back in business. I tested this with a poweroutage scenario and it worked fine.

Just as an aside I also have a vacuum shut off switch on my return pump so that if the level gets to high in the display tank (critters in the overflow)  it shuts off the return pump. It's the same switch that Birdlady is using for another purpose (Automatic Level Controller).

BTW the overflow cost about $15 to build and will run 800GPH. I've got a  Mag9.5 running as my return and the overflow is handling the output just fine. (4.5 head so the output is around 650-700)

Drew

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Thanks Drew. Glad things worked out skennelly!