Overflow backup?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by mdbostwick, Oct 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have an Eshopps HOB overflow that goes to my sump. Recently I have had a couple floods happen and so I am wondering if there is anyway to backup my overflow. I think I found the reason it overflowed this last time, but still no idea why it overflowed the time before that or the one before that, so some way of backing this up seems very important at this time.

My sump is remote by about 30 feet where my ato and all filtration is. The DT only has the lights and circulation pumps around it. Not sure what other info is needed about my setup, so ask away.

I really appreciate any input or ideas.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I'm going to reef a palooza this weekend. I'll see if I can ask the experts. Please post as much info on your tank dimensions, pump, ect. Pics may help too.

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Remote sumps can be tricky. The water in horizontal plumbing can become dead weight, restricting flow; it will also allow a place for detritus to settle and clog the line. An updraft- i.e. your drain goes to the floor, then back up to the sump- will greatly intensify those effects. Pics of your plumbing may help determine the issue.

civiccars2003 likes this.
  5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

My hang on back over flow on my old 55 used to have to be jiggled once maybe twice a day to keep air bubble from getting too large. If it her got to large, my tank would back up and overflow.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Using the overflow of this type, there is always some risk.

To try and keep it flowing - make sure no micro bubbles get into the DT side of the tube, and can grow and limit or stop the siphon flow to the sump.
    - This often means you need to raise or lower the inside box; Increasing the flow thru the tube will often pull bubbles around and thru the 'U' tube also.
    Some have tapped a whole, put a fitting and attach an aqualifter to keep the air bubble out.

With my former DIY Intank HOB overflow- I never had the problem b/c I pulled my intake on the DT side from the very bottom of the tank fro nthe inside of a lager diameter tube- that went back up to the surface and was all surface skimming but pulling the intake fro mthe bottom on the 'U' tube. Kept any bubbles out.

As a Backup- this is about back ups, right?

I don't have any controllers, etc.
    But I knew I needed a devise- that shut down the power to my RP when the DT water level got too high- as in about to overflow and flood my floor.
    After a few weeks of research- I found a good and reliable one online for abot $75 shipped.
    The good thing was- everytime I tested it, or my Blue Tang would splash the sensor- it worked like a charm and shut down my RP.- It has to be manually reset again though, as in unplugging and plugging it back in.

For me, it was excellent insurance/assurance that my family room would not be flooded.

I'm no longer using it however, (My newer DT is drilled) and will sell it for $40 shipped to you.

Seriously, this IS a back up for the type of overlfow you're using- that keeps the floor dry.

PM if interested,
    Todd