Overflow and Return?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, Jan 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I can actually steer you to EXACTLY how we build the standpipes:

HOW TO BUILD A STANDPIPE

Pay no attention to the "strainer modification"...it does work, but is a PITA to keep free of large debris (we run live macro). We left it in the article as an option tho.

Actually, my wife (Renee@LionfishLair) builds them while I'm plumbing the tank...I just show her what I need, and the standpipe(s) magically appear! Gotta love that...

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Awesome, thank you. I think that I'm going to try that and I'll let you know. I've been doing some research on the Hoffer and there is no way to get the sweet spot on both. its either one or the other and in some instances it restricts the flow to the sump. There we go. we figured it out. Thank you sir for taking the time to help me with my issue. I knew we'd resolve it.

Youve got an awesome wife that helps you. Mine is the same. Its nice to have support from the one we love in the hobby we love.

Thanks again!

4. Greg@LionfishLair

You're most welcome! Hey...we're practically neighbors...we live in Carson.

5. diverdan

We practically are, Carson is in LA County right. I'm in San Diego but went to school in Long Beach and my wife worked in LA for the longest time. What a trip.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Gunna hijack one of AZ's post regarding T'ing back to the sump.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

Makes total sense DBO, I understand that by adding a ball valve after the pump to either slow down the flow or to split it off you will make the pump work harder and in turn shorten the life of the pump. That is one of the reasons for my thread today, I want to get away from having to dial back the pump. i dont like doing it and I want it to be simple. Not turn this lever, pull on this string and push that button and a gumball pops out kind of thing.

I want to open up the ball valve completely but my overflow isnt keeping up with it, came to the conclusion that it is my standpipes and I am looking into alternatives.

Thank you.

10. diverdan

Very Small!

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

The pump actually works harder when it is t'd back to the sump since it is working at full capacity.
    Adding a ball valve on the return line is better for the pump.
    i have a ball valve on my return line and i can tell you that i havent moved it since day one of running my tank, IMO alot less technical than t'ing a line and sending it back to the sump.

12. diverdan

OK, let me see if I am understanding you correctly.

I have a manifold before the main ball valve, the manifold is running 2 reactors and later a chiller. The ball valve is still dialed back to restrict flow to the dt.

You're saying that the way I have it set up is better than running one of those manifold outlets to the sump wide open and running the main dial back ball valve open with almost no restriction? Am Understanding that correctly?