overflow and return very noisy! Help!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Sheliaknows, Apr 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

From experience a little back pressure on a mag is too much and at 89 bucks it's a costly mistake that can easily be avoided. Actually I got lucky and the pump overheated and died before it had a chance to heat the water and cook my tank. The tee set up give you total control of flow in the tank and puts 0 backpressure on the pump.

2. Click Here!

3. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

very much appreciated! i finished doing the modifications to my plumbing i had made previously and will let it cure overnight. i'll post some vids and picts when i have it running smoothly. Thanks for all the the help! one last question how do you know if the PVC cement being used used is aquarium safe? The stuff i have doesn't say one way or another if its ok for use on drinking water systems and the guy at Rona was of no help. It's Oatley brand PVC cement (grey can) is its ok?

4. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

i think you should be ok, i dont know of any that would not be safe, i could be wrong?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Once cured it will be no problem.

6. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i have that exact overflow and this is how i got mine close to silent...

completely remove the foam and toss it(i stuck mine at the end of the entry to my sump which quited that down), if the pvc doesnt stick up out of the bulkhead a good 4 inchs go to home depot and pick a longer piece up..

then take it home and drill one hole at a time through it sticking it back in after each hole until the gurgle goes away. for me it was 2 holes opposit from eachother 1 and 2 inchs up the pipe, then four holes all the way around the top. then i laid a neatly folded hand towel over the back half and i can barely hear mine when standing infront of my tank

7. Trebor

Trebor Bristle Worm

I have a 300 eshopps also, it came with a piece of foam about 7" long & 1" in diameter I stuffed this in the drain hole and it cut out almost all noise except for an occasional gurgle. I don't know if your kit came with one.

8. Click Here!

9. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

yeah i got the pipe and foam. i'll try drilling the holes one at a time, and stuffing the foam in my entrance to sump. thanks guys