Overdose!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Dubethenewb, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Visited Seachem site

5 grammes or 1 level teaspoon will increase PH by 0.1 and DKH by 0.5 Meg per litre in 40 gallons of water

your 4.4 ounces = 125 teaspoons ( Google convertor) which divided by 3 as you have 120 gallons = 42 ish teaspoons

which as you can see is going to increase your levels by far to much in 1 go

in addition a secondary issue is that the elevated Alk level may cause your Calc level to drop as in all probability you wont have the magnesium levels to hold all these ions in solution
    but this in itself is good news as it means not all that fell in, will dissolve

Steve

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

2. Click Here!

3. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

So how will this affect my fish and corals. And what course of action do I need to take now

4. steve wright

a water change would be ideal IMO
    As without knowing your Mag and Calc levels its difficult to asses what exactly is going to precipitate out of solution

see this link as in all probability you will end up with a zone 3 issue - High Alk in relation to Calcium

Chemistry and the Aquarium

Steve

5. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

How much water change. 10% Tom? And how many water changes

Ca is at 400 When I tested 30mins ago
    Ca was at 460-80 before
    Ph was 7.8 before (wanted to raise ph a little and the lfs gave me reef buffer)
    Dkh was around 10

It's clearing up some I can see my brain coral and frogspawn and some rock work but still very cloudy and dusty all over equipment. Should I leave the lights off

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  6. steve wright

leaving the lights off is a good idea IMO
    As this will cause any corals that are still open to withdraw

water change? IMO it depends where you levels finish up
    the PH - of you used Reef Buffer - states it cannot increase PH beyond 8.3 ( but maybe they didnt expect this much to be added at one time)

its the DKH or Alk thats going to be the big concern and also what its increase does to your calcium, once everything has dissolved as far as it can

if it where me, I would have done a 25% water change today and then tested again tomorrow to see where my numbers where, before deciding on further action

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i would do a 25% or 30%ish off a water change... i had this happan to a friend a few years back, they only thing he lost was his RBTA but thats was bleched and underfed.
    i think that ur ok, also what is the tank a mixed or LPS or a SPS tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

it's mixed. some sps and lps I hope everything is ok along w my fish. will I be ok doing such a large change at once?

10. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ya i have done 50% water changes before. infact a lot of people do. i wouldent be concerend about the fish but the SPS and inverts shold probaly be watched

11. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

It has cleared up enough to see everything now. I noticed dust all over the walls power heads skimmer and sump I have carbon and phos bags also in sump. When I do the water change should I clean all of this and while this dust get off my rocks. They where purple now have a dust shade on them. Guess I'm asking what to do maintenance wise and am I in a bad situation. Everything was soo good I cant believe this happened. I a, really worried.. This sucks.

12. steve wright

The syphoning to remove the dust is exactly what I would do once it had settled like this

Steve