Over run tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by austchippy, Jan 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. austchippy

austchippy Plankton

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

"my calcium levels were at 280ppm. "that's a little low for a reef tank,what"S the level now

4. saltydog

saltydog Guest

Had a bad outbreak of brown slime algae, even brown hair algae. Bought 150 blue-leg crabs and 120 snails, All Gone!!!

5. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

saltydog.
    what size tank do you have. that is alot of crabs and snails. your tank must be huge. i only have 5 crabs and two shrimp in my 55.

6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

You need to buy an assortment of snails and crabs.  In my 75g I have 30 or more snails and several dwarf scarlet red hermits.  You can easily add 15-20 hermits to your tank but I found that too many hermits and your snails disappear!  Get a variety of snails.  Cerith snails are great because they will eat the film algea at the bottom of the glass and even under the gravel line.  Nassirus snails are tiny but come out at night from under the gravel and eat detrius and algae.  Turbo snails are monster algea eaters but get large.  Astrea and marguerite snails are also excellent.  Check out fosters and smiths www.liveaquaria.com for great prices on snails.  You might want to also add a lawn mower blennie and kole tang which will make quick work of removing your algea.  Emerald crabs are great too, but when they get bigger or algea becomes scarce they might eat your snails!  Good luck!