Over my head!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tom.n.day, Jan 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

So you think you got the meter hooked up correct? Are the LEDs lit? If the LEDs are lit with the meter in the line, you're almost there!!

Go low and if the LEDs are not bright, its 100mA, 1,000mA is gonna be REALLY bright, so youd know. Like I said, its really touchy, so be careful.

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

ok, so last question (i think) the last driver is max at 700 mA does this mean I don't need to adjust it? Likewise, the other 3 drivers max at 1.3 mA. Wouldn't this mean I can leave the one pushing only cool whites alone as well?

4. thedude

thedude Plankton

the driver the cool whites are on is ok at 1.3, drop the 2 with the rb's and blues down to 950, and the uv's driver to 700.

when you adjust the mA, be sure your contoller is connected to the drivers and set to max brightness.

you want make it so that the driver is peaked at those mA, when it is running at 100%
    meaning that, if you were to set the max mA on the driver. but, the contoller is only at 50%you would overdrive the lights when you turn it up.

5. tom.n.day

got the lights on! Just waiting from my wife to come back for an extra set of hands to adjust the drivers. Loving it!

Attached Files:

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Nice!! again, be careful not to fry those LEDs! Keep the pics coming, Tom!!

7. tom.n.day

I just added a few more Leds. Listed below you will find the new amount and total amount in parenthesis

Cool white 2 (12)
    Neutral white (4)
    Royal blue (10)
    Blue 2 (eight)
    Cyan 2 (2)
    Red 2 (2)
    Green (2)
    UV (4) - I want to add more of these

Basically, I add 2 blue, 2 red, 2 cool white and 2 cyan.

Early observations;

Cyan- looks very much like green. Just a tad bluer

Red- kind of a lower/deeper/darker glow then the other lights. It does not seen to mess us the lighting at all. Everything look even more crisp.

In the picture below my cool whites are at 25 percent. Royal Blue at 30, Blue/Neutral whites at 30 and the "accent lights" (everything else) at 100 percent (non-dimmable driver). Frankly, I like the look.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

The one thing I am not sure of, is wether or not I should add lenses. I have them, I just have seen good extension at the bottom of my tank without them and am worried I might start frying the coral if I add them. Any benefits/cons I should know about by doing this?

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

im getting ready to add 8 uvs to my 48 rb and cw cree system, more?

11. tom.n.day

How big is the tank? I would maybe go ahead and get the 10-12 since you most likely have to buy another driver for them anyways.

My next add is more UV's

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

55g! yeah def another driver, they run at a 700mA max and all my drivers are set above that!