Over my head!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tom.n.day, Jan 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Ive never had experience with 48P drivers so.. I only wish insanespain is online now. He used 48Ps with the typhoon controller, exactly the same as yours.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

These Rapid kits are pretty fun yeah?
    I just bought a used 120w led to keep my corals happy so I can take my time to finish my build, which is going sooooooo slow!
    Anyway, I did help a friend put together a biocube 29 kit or whatever they are with a typhoon controller and also have a bunch of the stuff for my build, including typhoon sitting right here, so would be rude not to reply to you I think :)

Did up this rough sketch to give you an idea of how its connected, hope it makes some sense.
    White didnt show up very well on white so I used yellow for DIM-.
    [​IMG]
    I assumed that the drivers wouldnt do anything without a controller attached, but could very well be wrong. They may just default to 100%, hopefully someone else can help there.

also took this shot to show what you're connecting to on the typhoon.
    [​IMG]
    It comes with 4 of the black and red wires with little black connections on them.
    Those slip straight onto the typhoon, the bottom 4 sets of pins on the right are for 10v pwm control and you need to connect them with the black(neg) on top/up.
    EDIT: the picture above shows one plug connected on pwm chanel 3 only.
    (its actually written on the board what everything is when you take a good look at it)
    So you need to connect the black wire the white coming from youre p type driver and red to the blue on driver.
    There are 4 pairs of pins for the 4 connectors, one for each chanel the controller drives.
    I was very happy with my typhoon as it came and its awesome to know that you can make it do just about whatever you want if you try hard enough!

Hope some of that helped a little and that all goes well with you build!
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Thank you chappy. so the 2 wires coming from the driver are the positive and negative that atatch to the led's and the side with 4 wires will connect into the typhon controller? where do you guys place your drivers? on the back of the heatsink? do you wire them to the ground level then hook into everything?

5. tom.n.day

what does everyone else thing? use the optics?

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I used a wood board and fixed all the drivers and a surge protector.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the crappy pic, its still behind the stand.

And Rtm2017 did a better job.

7. tom.n.day

ok, so next question.... I forgot to drill the heatsink beforehand so i can hang it =-(. Will a normal screw go through it or do I need a drill bit?

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I used a drill bit. Id suggest you do the same :) Easy and clean holes.

10. chappy85

each driver has 6 wires total, and they should all be labeled on the front of the driver what each wire does, have a look for those and make sure you understand them.
    the side with only 2 wires (brown/blue) are the positive and negative that connect to your mains power.
    the side with 4 wires has 2 wires (red/black) for a string of leds and 2 wires (white/blue) that you connect to the typhoon or controller of choice.
    Also, remember that when these things are connected to mains power and live they can be very dangerous to poke around in. Be very carful adjusting the internal pot.

I am going to try do up a project box to house all my drivers with panel mount sockets and fuses and run leads between heatsink/driver box/controller box. Also going to try get a controller box made but havent got round to finishing a drawing for it to get a quote.
    Will do up a build thread when I'm done and include any plans I do up.

11. tom.n.day

ok, everything is wired (except to the drivers) and hanging above the tank! We are SO close to victory. Now, I didn;t put the lenses on per a suggestion earlier in this thread. Does anyone disagree with that? thoughts? Thanks everyone for your help

12. chappy85

congrats!
    I would imagine its alot easier/cleaner to glue the optics on later if you want deeper par than it would be to remove them.
    I would say try it with no optics first and see what you think.