Over flows

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by fireykat, Nov 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fireykat

fireykat Astrea Snail

Thank you Inwall and Gazog for the links!!! I think I'll go with the continuous siphon. I don't think I'd be comfortable drilling the glass.

Next question; what size sump should I do under it? My 65 was custom made and all I had to do was give the guy the measurements. I'll probably have 50 questions before this is set up. Which may take awhile because I've decided to tear out my dining room and living room wall and build in the tank as a wall divider.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

A lot of this will depend on how much space you have behind the wall. If it's limited, just pick up an el-cheapo 29 long

4. fireykat

fireykat Astrea Snail

After Sunday when my brother comes to take a look at my wall to see if it's doable and help me design it, I'll have more specifics. It helps having a brother that is a carpenter and being the younger sister he's glad to help! I do know though, I will have the length and width of the 55 underneath to work with. ::)

5. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

you will know if its tempered if it wavy glass, like your sliding glass door, look at it at a angle and you will see its wavy if its smooth like a mirror its not temp glass, or you can take it to a glass shop and they will tell you if it is and they will drill it for about 10 bucks....

6. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

If you stay with the lift pump and a CPR overflow, be sure to have a spair lift pump on hand and you may want to have a set of replacement parts for the inside, it makes it quicker to rebuild. In my experience with this setup, we had 2 near tank overflows, when the lift pump suction point got plugged... and one overflow when the lift pump failed when we were away from the house...it is amazing how far the water goes on the floor...

So, when the tank came down, the "new" tank (purchased use off Craig's List) was drilled... the next time a tank overflows in this house will not be because a pump stops working....because, that's what pumps do, they stop....

As with anything else in this hoby, just be as prepared as you can...

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I am with grubb here. I run CPR overflows and have run into that problem. Nothing happened. I caught it in time. But it is a concern. But all things being equal, with the exception of drilling (which is preferred), the CPR set up is very good and reliable.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Best way to fix that is to raise you return pump up to a level that it runs out of water before it overflows. Most pumps have a bracket that give it the ability to be hung from the side of the tank and if it doesn't, make a bracket.

The way I look at it is salt water spilling on to the floor has is possibly going to do quite a bit of damage depending on where the tank is located (upstairs is the worst) so I would rather pay a couple of hundred dollars for a new pump if it burns up than thousands of dollars in home repairs.....

1 person likes this.
  10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I'd not considered that, it would have saved us a lot of cleanup...you would need an auto-top off system to keep a constant sump level for this to be less problematic...We used a simple float switch and a pump in a 6g bucket of RO/DI, this worked well enough.

11. fireykat

fireykat Astrea Snail

Thank you for the advice. Curiosity leads me to ask. Where do you drill the tank and what exactly do you do after you have drilled? I have never talked to anyone who has drilled a tank. Maybe I will change my mind. Good advice (hydrojeff) on how to tell if it's tempered or not. I'll check it when I get home.

12. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam