Our Progress - 46 bowfront

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by =Jwin=, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Tell your dad you know this old lady (well, old enough to be your mother anyway) who has had 2 mantis shrimp now! They are dangerous - it really hurts when you get popped by one...;)

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's a beautiful tank. The corals are huge and colorful.

If I had another tank I would get a Mantis for sure. I wonder if they get board when no one is around for them to watch. Hard to believe their intelligence level, I can sure see how people become fond of them.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Well just don't put your hand so close to him! :p He thinks it will (a)break the glass tank b) break my finger with its claw.

I know these are over (somewhat) exaggerated thoughts which many people have that don't actually know much about how to care for them. But I won't be living at home in about 6 months anyway. So I will wait (oh, that gives me a use for my empty 10 gallon!). :)

5. Triplemom

I actually got popped by Bo (my G. smithii) once while rearranging the rock in his tank. It did hurt! He was about 4 inches long - not quite as big as a peacock, but not small either. Lambo was beating a snail off the glass of his Biocube earlier - no glass breaking, no flooding. Did either of you see the special on the National Geographic WILD channel about mantis shrimp? It was on recently - fascinating story!

Funny story about Lambo. When we first set up a mantis tank for my son, he had a mantis named Princess. He had a 3-stripe damsel named Orca in the tank. Princess and Orca stayed in the tank together until Princess passed on. We moved Orca into the Biocube with Lambo, Jwin's new mantis. We've had Orca the damsel in a tank with a mantis for close to 3 years now. Not too long ago, I actually saw Lambo smashing Orca repeatedly. I was really surprised (never seen that before) and thought Orca was history.....he was actually lying on the sand bed. Well, I was totally wrong. Lambo the mantis is alive and well and Orca the damsel is alive and well. Maybe Lambo got a little too hungry? Orca will actually swim down in the mantis den sometimes. Crazy fish!

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

No, I did not see that. We have basic cable; I can't remember whether we get NatGeo. Though i have seen some shows about the ocean before which featured the manits. :p

hahah! That is awesome. :) I enjoy your stories.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No but I will look for the National Geographic special.

We had a huge cold water mantis at the college I used to go to, he was huge, can not remember the type but was collected off Ca. Nothing lasted more than an hour in his tank.

Do you know off the top of your head what their life span is?

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Your tank as always is looking great.
    Beautiful do too.

1 person likes this.
  10. Triplemom

No idea on a peacock, but for the smaller ones we've had (3 different ones now), I'd say not much more than a year or so. Just when we think everything is going great, they seem to be found dead. Sometimes after a molt, sometimes not. I know they can have bad molts, but otherwise I don't know much. Ours have always been well fed with a variety of krill and live snails (and an occasional emerald crab that I won't talk about)....

11. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Very nice setup. Beautiful tank.

12. Triplemom

Just realized how long it's been since I've been on here! Shame on me! The tank is still doing well...it's been just over 5 years now. I need to put some pictures up!

I hope some of the "old folks" are still on here (you know who you are)! I'm actually considering going bigger...75 or 90. I must be getting senile...