Oscar with holes in head

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by jv3679, Dec 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jv3679

jv3679 Plankton

Hi mates,

My friend has just told me about his Oscars and how they have holes in their heads. I did not get the whole background on the situation but I remember seeing some article on the subject while researching my Ich trouble which I am treating with Ich Attack 100% Organic by Kordon (Novalek, Inc. Home of Kordon, Oasis, TeraRep and AquaVet).

Can someone direct me to hole in head diseas & how to treat?

Thanx ;D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

what i was told was that hole in the head disease was treatable but not curable.also caused by over population and i've found that if i bought one fish infected that when i went back to the store,there was many more with it in their tanks.i gave all the fish back for a discount on a skimmer and had to quit buying at that store.when i got back into the hobby,i started a sw tank.the oscar will probably live yrs.

4. xi-guy

xi-guy Plankton

I just treated my oscar with Metro+ make by Hikari. The active ingredient was metronidazole. Seems healing after three days.

Only one of my three oscars had it. I do believe it is caused by bacteria infection.

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Years ago I had 3 Oscars (Red, Tiger, and Alino). I think i remember the hole in the head disease was caused by parasitic worms in the tank (and in the fish). The worms don't do much harm until they eat in far enough and start munching on the Oscar's brain. It could go quick or it could last awhile. I think I gave mine some parasite treatment and they lasted over 3-4 years until the outgrew 8"+ the 55 gallon tank. I moved to my own house and now it's a new SW tank.

6. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

It is commonly called pitting, and while some infections can cause it it also has to do with the oscar's food. Make sure he is on high quality food and don't spoil him with feeder fish as these are a main cause of it.

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Oh, yeah, that's it! the worms/parasites that cause it usually come from the feeder gold-fish and tuffies they LOVED to eat.