Oscar Problem

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by techno2, May 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Heres is a new one, for me anyway.

My Oscar, Otherwise healthy, has developed a Pea size Cyst on one of his pectoral fins . It is white in color and about the size of a pea. It is towards the base of the fin.

Has anyone seen this ?
    What should I do ?

Is this what is called lump on Lip ? I have seen pictures of that.

\Help

2. Click Here!

3. Catfish Charlie

Catfish Charlie Astrea Snail

My educated guess would be lympgocystis, which sadly has no known cure, its viral kind of like a wart virus. Unlike a wart though the infection cannot be removed simply like a wart, it will come back. the progression is slowed by ultra clean water and the avoidance of all copper compounds. Lump on the lip to my knowledge has not been identified, but shows the same progression as lympocystis (someone correct me if I am wrong) I have always thought it to be the same disease. This disease can take a long time before it can cause a problem for the fish, under the right circumstances years even. It is terminal but not painful, and you have much life left in this fish.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

In FW, sounds like a fungal infection, although it could be parasitic. Do a couple 15m methylene blue baths, 5ml/gal and see how he reacts.

5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Wowzers , this is an old thread.. I suspect if it was still there he would be long gone by now.

Thanks for the info though... For some reason it went away on it's as quickly as it appeared.