Unresolved Oscar has popeye

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by JJL, Sep 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I went to chack on my oscar this morning and saw that both of his eyes are inflated. I assume this is popeye. He has lived in 50 gallon tank with a canister filter rated for a 90 gallon tank since he was 1 year old. Before that he was in a 20 long, but he outgrew that fast. I have had him for about 6 years now and I really care about him. What could I do? He is eating which I think is a good sign, but what do you all suggest?
    JJL

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Pop eye is usually a secondary symptom or infection of something else, typically a decline in water quality with high nitrate levels. Another common cause is physical injury.

Test your parameters, do a water change and try some FW medications like Permafix or Melafix.

Good luck

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

But why now? He has lived in the tank for many years. Would you suggest doing a full cleaning first then trying the medication or going to the medication ASAP? He has it in both eyes.
    Thanks
    JJL

5. Corailline

First I would test your water and see what those values are.

Next I would do a 10% water change, do not over correct and cause more stress. Over the next couple days I would do small water changes.

Since he is eating bulk up his diet with some selcon or similar products.

Start with parameters and then medication but nothing drastic in my opinion.

You do a complete clean and you are likely to shock everything including the fish.

1 person likes this.
  6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok thanks for the help, Cheryl .
    #1. 10 water change, not cleaning gravel to make sure the tank is not shocked.
    #2 boost feeding to twice a day with a variety of pellets
    #3 After 3 days of doing 1 and 2 add medication if popeye does not improve.
    Sound good?
    Thanks, Again
    JJL

7. Corailline

You could add some Melafix or Permafix now. And feeding more may contribute more to a decline in water quality, just feed good quality foods, may be a tad more.

Mostly though look for the stressors, mostly like parameters, unless you have recently added more fish.

It's been a long long time since I kept FW, so I defer to the current hobbyist.