ORP

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by omard, Apr 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great point Mantis Man! Am reading this with great interest as well!

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:-[

"Experiment" has turned out "badly"...

after week of running ozone generator at 25%...ORP reading never over 350 mv...woke up smelling the stink of ozone in living room...

Tank in crisis...fish all acting highly stressed. Normally very mellow yellow tang tearing up Sailfin...Derasa "gaping"....Xenia, bubble corals both looking "dead"...beautiful galaxia shows sign of dying off...1 goby (zebra) "gone"... :'(

Obviously something not working out as planned...generator over producing? --- Monitor not working? --- insufficient carbon at skimmer outlet --- Skimmer injection not working as supposed to...???? :-/

or even may be something else triggered by Ozone ---???

All other "testable" water params OK...

Anyway, am in disaster recovery mode now...water changes...large bag of carbon in sump...pulling dying corals...after 1 day...clam not dead yet...other corals still opening up fully...at least fish population and other inverts looking back to normal...

Going to be a while before I try this "experiment" out again...

OmarD
    [​IMG]

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Oh No!!!!

You had an air dryer on your system and carbon so I don't understand what happened. Since you have those and can still smell the ozone, I would suspect a bad monitor or overproduction but thats just a guess. Possibly ammonia rose in the tank after the death of the zebra and that was affecting the tank as well.

I hope it all works out for you. Your course of action seems good to me and it sounds like your tank is responding to it.

Good Luck

5. Craig Manoukian

Bummer Scott. Good work on your disaster recovery program. Could it be too much cange too soon? How long was your tank "stable" before adding the ozone.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:) :) :)

GREAT JOY!...

Was almost brought to tears (of happiness :D) finding "missing" goby ("zebra") swimming around in sump!!!

What a trip "she" (I am pretty sure) must have had...amazing to consider the leap made into overflow...(she is far too big for drain slots)...then somhow making thru the strainer on the drain (guess was "skinny" enough for that...trip down drain pipe...then leap up and out of filter bag at end of pipe...

"Incredible journey" :eek:

Returned without any apparent "wear" or visible signs of stress to main tank, where she is happily back to swimming close to and with "mate." - in fact, getting her out of the sump, which thought was going to be a chore :p...was very simple...put in dip net, and she swam right in it - must have known she was not in right place.

Oh, happiness...kind of provides some balance for loss of the two corals... :huh: :D :huh: :D :D

OmarD
    ;D

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's great news Scott! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Great news... because of my sponge pre filter my pink spotted goby only made it to the box that the drain pipe is in... Karma coming your way.

11. Craig Manoukian

12. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Omar

ORP reading never over 350 mv...woke up smelling the stink of ozone in living room...

350 mV is just fine and won't do anything. That smell is not from the tank but either the ozone hose or skimmer connections leaking ozone into the room, which will also have no effect on the tank. At 25 % of a 100mg unit that is 25 mg/hr/gal O3, the STD dosage is .5 - .9 mg/hr/gal and you have a 180 gal tank. Even if the water was displaced 80 gal,  for a net of 100 gal. 100 x .9 = 90 mg, .5 = 50mg and you are at 25 mg or .25 mg /gal / hr, which is more than safe. Ozone in seawater is gone in seconds. The only thing left would be the oxidants produced by ozone and with that low a setting and the  carbon you have there would be nothing there. Something else happen to produce that stress and it was just bad luck that at the same time you had an ozoane leak into the room.

I  don't buy the dead fish and the production of ammonia. First, the nitrifying bacteria should handle that. Furthermore, Ozone reacts quickly with ammonia to produce Nitrite, which is further reacted with ozone to produce nitrate.

Lastly, if you had over production the dial would have to be bad. The OPR is only 350, so the monitor and probe would also have to be bad at the same time, giving a very low reading. I don't by that either. Often when one gets a new toy and they really don't understand the whole 9-yards behind everything  and something goes wrong in the tank, the first thing is it must be that new thing, what ever the h_ll it is/was .  I think you have other problems.

Could it some how still be the ozone in a way ? Yes, if that ozone is running through something it is not suppose to. The ozone my be acting on a non-safe ozone material, because of the way it is hooked up.  This could end up producing something being toxic, where the carbon is not being effective enough or it is out-letting where it has no contact with the carbon.