oregon blue tort Q

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by mandarin11, Apr 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Anybody have this coral or know its optimum conditions? I know it's one of the rare ones. One of my LFSs has a colony and I was wondering what it would take for a frag from it to survive. (Yes I know, I've got the SPS bug bad.::) And to think I used to hate SPS.)

I'm updating my lighting in about a month here to 6 bulb Tek T5 (for a 55 gal reef tank). I know I'll be waiting a little while to get a SPS that is this extravagant and prized but I'm curious about them.

Any takers?

2. Click Here!

3. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I've had that sps for awhile now. I think its pretty hardy. It survived a tank crash that wiped out most of my sps. Keep your water stable and the lighting high and you'll be fine. Dont worry if you dont notice it growing much. Its a slow grower.

Don't over pay either. I usually seel frags of it to the local guys for $25. Some people really gouge the cost on that one.

Good Luck
    Scott

1 person likes this.
  4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I could be just me. But I would rethink and maybe go MH. That's an amazing coral. I passed up one last night to get a Cali torte and a frew others. I passed it up because a friend wanted it

J

1 person likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Is this a new name for the old Tort that came around in the early 90's ? Steve Tyree got hold of a nice coloney by accident in a shipment he had sent him. I have a colony of it now think god I gave some to friends but it was called then Tyree's purple monster .. Got a place to see a picture of it ? If it is this coral then you have to have M/H over it.. I did not do all that well for me with just 175's and old 55K's back when that was all available .. ours here did much better under the 400 14 K's I'd not try it under t 5 unless it was right up under them.

6. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

No its not the tort that Steve had. I am pretty sure this one came from some hobbiest in Oregon. Some how Ming wound up with a piece and the rest is history.

I've seen it kept under t5s Just dont expect the super blue color and good growth. I would say that a better tort fot t5s would be the ORA or the Becker.

7. TAD

TAD Astrea Snail

In Oregon its about $40-50 for a 1"-1/12" frag. Soutas and upscales have the better stuff ive seen locally. Soutas has had the same colony for over 6 years. I just wish he was a nicer person. Not fun spending money at a crabby LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would go MH for sure. And good bulbs el cheapo = loss of color.

10. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

there reallly is 2 oregon torts. the oregon tort and oregon blue tort.

the oregon tort has shades of green and purple in it. and the true blue oregon tort will be solid blue. prob same coral diff lighting. but i have heard that they are 2 diff torts.
    i have one under 6 t5s with slr's on a 13 " wide tank 24" deep,. for lil less than a month and its growing at a decent speed faster than i expected. ive noticed a very small change in color coming from 250 or 400 watt (not sure) 14 k reeflux.

also keeping marshall island blue bottle brush acro. and that has increased in color.
    as well as some sunset and rose millis , and 2 other green bottle brush acros.

sps like green pocilliapora, montiporas easily bleach too close to the light.
    acclimate to the t5s!!!! .
    i was putting my sps strait to the top cause i thought the would need tons of light. well most bleached. even ora green birdsnest, and a superman monti all have been move down in the tank a continue to recover. superman is finally getting its nice purple color back after like 2 months.

i i have been acclimating the newest acros starting at 18"and they are all doing wonderfully.
    millis are growing at monti digi speeds.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I bought a Cali tort thinking it was a California blue tort. It's still nice but I'm going to get an Oregan Blue tort they're super nice.

12. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

yeah im going to get an oregon blue tort here soon..i like the ones at soutas because there a little cheaper than upscales and they have a old colony :) but yeah the younger kid is nicer than Rick himself..he's always been unfriendly