orange algae

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, Nov 4, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Re:  orange algae

i would ask the store how long ago the rock came in. also if the rock is in the process of curing or already cured. you had said your lr smelled like a sewage plant that is the rock curing and having a lot of die off. fresh fully cured lr has no smell. if it is fully cured you should be able to put it in the tank with no problems. one fish store i go to has huge vats 1 for the curing process and another that the rock gets transferrd to when it is done and ready to go. we bought the fully cured stuff and added it to the tank with no problems but it was only out of the water about a half hour or so.

2. Click Here!

3. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Astrea Snail

i got my lr today
    its already cured so i jus chucked it straight in
    i also got a gravel pump to , but think its a piece of **** !! any comments ?
    i also got told that the best gravel cleaner is a goat fish , ive never heard of it b4 but they r sposed to bel il rippers ??

4. thegrasshopper

i have some funky white **** growin on my lr
    its in a few sections an comes of pretty easy
    my clown fish likes pickin at it

wat is it ?? will it harm my tank ??

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Jeez maybe I need to turn the bad word censor back on! thats_crazy :-X

lets see, funky white ****. my guess is that it is some sponge on the rock. people usually remove that prior to putting it in the tank. i don't think it will harm your tank too much, but if it is floating around just pull it out.

as for your piece of **** gravel pump, i am not sure what you are talking about. do you have a digital camera? is it a siphon?

as for sand clean up crews, check out some of the detrivores listed in the sand section of the site as well as the links below them. that should give you some ideas.

;D

6. thegrasshopper

sorry bout that , was a bit frustrated at the time

its a siphon gravel cleaner , it didnt seem to work at all

an the "funky white ****" lol , yeh , sponge is startin to grow round it , looks pretty cool now.
    why do most ppl remove it ??

thanx ;D

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

most people remove sponges because the instant a sponge hits the air it gets air in its body and cannot remove it. this will slowly kill the sponge and cause die off in the tank. most sponges even though removed will start to come back and regrow after a couple a months in the tank so if you remove them dont worry they will show back up