ORA Joe the Coral care

Discussion in 'Coral' started by acemow, May 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Anyone have any tips on caring for ORA Joe the Coral? It's about a two inch frag, current location, 6 inches down into tank, near Koralia 3 PH, flow is pretty high, about 3 inches to the side of the end of a 150w 14k MH lamp, not directly under. Params stay consistent at temp 77-78, pH 8.3, ammon.0,nitrate 10ppm, trite 0 phos.0, 9-10 dkh, calc 440, SG 1.025, light cycle in DT 9 hours. I don't test for mag. currently at home, only at LFS, it's typically 1350 ish, I only add Seachem calcium and Seachem reef builder carbonate alkalinity supplement to keep levels above, when needed. Thanks! Ann Marie

2. Click Here!

3. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm still learning about saltwater, corals, etc.... SO

What is ORA Joe the Coral

Good Luck, Larry

it's a blue and green acropora that is aquacultured.

Thanks, sounds like a nice coral..

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Shipbear it's a blue and green acropora that is aquacultured.

As long as your nutrients are kept in check, it will do well in that scenario.

1 person likes this.
  5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

not really, good water and patients are the only way i found to grow corals.

joe the coral is a type of acropora i think

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I'm not sure exactly what "near" the K3 means but make sure the powerhead is not blasting it directly from one side all the time. If there is any way to get more chaotic flow than sitting in front of a powerhead that will be better for it.

7. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

thanks for replies! near is vague, sorry. I have the flow regulator tip off the K3 so it's relatively chaotic in flow, not blasting one side, it seems happy there for now. Very nice bright green, changing to light blue and then dark blue on tips. It is an acro, ocean, reefs, aquarium variety of aquacultured, Drs. Foster have it occasionally, my lfs just happened to have one and I thought it was a nice piece, been in tank for a week or so. There is a picture of it in coral forum I posted yesterday with a frogspawn.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I would suggest raising your Ca to around 500-525. SPS seems to like the higher levels.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I have had my ORA joe the coral since February.

I have mine about 5 inches or so down from the top, close to the center of my 90, in between the halides. It has become one of my favorite SPS in my tank, and I have a good selection of nice ones.

It is growing very well, better than many other SPS I have from ORA. I have been topping my water off with kalk wasser added to my top off in the ATO, and my Ca levels have been right around 420. If you get your ca around 500 as suggested previously, I bet the alkalinity will be out of whack.

I will be hooking up my Geo calcium reactor once my buddy gets me the ph probe for the ph controller, so i will see how it grows then.

11. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

To care for Joe the Coral, have Joe the Coral ask presidential candidates embarassing questions! ;D

12. fishguy597

fishguy597 Astrea Snail

im not sure how joe is doing these days, i hope all is well. if you go to ora corals they have a little info there. they are similar to the borrealis acro. i had joe high in the tank with little color. i moved it down half way and the colors came out better .