Opinions on these ebay fixtures please

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by rcflyer1388, May 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The Lowe's fixture is not designed for aquatic use and could cause a short when over a tank. Also the reflector is not very effective.

As for the the individual reflectors they will not fit in a fixture. They are meant for DIY projects.

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Very true! When trying to get the right flow in my biocube, I ended up spending lots of money on different powerheads and smaller wavemakers when I should have just purchased an MP10... which I ended up doing and solved all my flow needs x10!

Thanks for the input! I will refrain from purchasing these if that is the case..i wouldnt want all the humidity to cause issues when i already have lots of other lights and power being drawn. also it isn't much of a price difference to get the t5 lights I was wanting, i just need to be patient until i can afford them easily. thanks!

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Spend the money on a great item and cry once. Buy cheap junk in this hobby then you better carry a bucket around because you'll cry often.

5. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

lol....nice! this is the kind of opinions i need like what you guys are posting....good or bad. Otherwise I wouldn't make a post and would carry around my bucket for my tears lol.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

IMHO, just get another full spectrum, dimmable LED. Boom, done.
    Dont' buy bulbs/replace for for over 10 years.

The EXPOWERTT's I get off Amazon will perform as good or better than the Radion Pro.-
    Oh wait, I can't make it thunderstrom- yea, get the exspensive stuff

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Lol good point, who cares about a thunderstorm! But it is very important to spend time doing the research on products -- and fwiw that LED fixture looks pretty damn sweet..and at the price, it's almost like why not!

What are you guys'z thoughts on the new LED CFL's at Lowes/Ace/Homedepot? Think those will work for my leather/zoa reef, my macro algae fuge and my 20g freshwater plant nursery?
    [​IMG]
    and or
    [​IMG]
    They're both 5000k but I believe in-store there is also the 6500k variant.

Also I did my own research and determined the difference between a HOT5 bulb and a ordinary T5 bulb is the HOT5's are 54w @ 48" and the regular T5 uses a 40w bulb @ 48" -- Thanks again 2in10... your wisdom, especially with FW plants, has always been valued!

Also just to stay on topic, my friend has a very nice 8 bulb t5 fixture and again, swears its worth buying the more expensive fixtures versus the crappy cheapos. They're cheap for a reason and the expensives ones... are expensive for a reason :)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The topic was switching from led to T5, so in the case of buying a cheap T5 fixture IMO is not a good idea. If your going to T5 then buy a quality fixture that will last a long time. If your staying with led lights then take Todds advice because spending 800 on a led light fixture that replicates lighting is a bit crazy. Check out Todds review on his led fixtures.

10. rcflyer1388

those are the exact same fixtures I'm running on my tank that Todd has. My main reason for looking to switch to T5 is for the way the tanks look with T5 and also to get rid of shaded areas in the tank. But as most of you guys said with just going for a quality fixture that will last and has good reflectors.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  12. rcflyer1388

that looks good. was thinking of doing that with mine before.