Opinions on these ebay fixtures please

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by rcflyer1388, May 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I currently have 2 Evergrow fixtures over my 90gal. They are great lights no issues what so ever other than the shades that LED's just create in general over certain parts of the tank. I am interested in trying out T5 lighting for a change to see what kind of effect I will get with the way the tank will look/grow. I saw these fixtures on ebay and they don't seem half bad other than the bulbs which I was thinking of swapping to ATI bulbs. Wondering if anyone tried these and if they were good. My tank is a 90gal with mostly SPS in it.

48" 324W T5 HO Aquarium Light Hood 6X54W Fluorescent Actinic Lamp LCD Timer Reef | eBay

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

T-5 light is awesome. However, quality fixtures matter. Individual reflectors make a world of difference versus one reflector. I've seen some of the nicest reef tanks lit up by T-5 lighting (world wide corals). The light on ebay doesn't say what reflectors it has. I used cheap zoo med fixtures for awhile and they worked but I bought a used current T-5 fixture that had individual reflectors and what a difference. Spend the extra dough and get a quality built fixture and you'll never regret the switch. I've used ATI bulbs on all my tanks and I'll never use any other brand, there great.

4. rcflyer1388

I don't honestly see anything more than a mirror behind the bulb on these but I know there's reflectors that clip onto the back of the individual bulbs that can be bought from marinedepot made by AquaticLife which look really good and I believe are a must for T5. If these eBay fixtures are as decent as the Evergrow LEDs that I have currently I wouldn't complain. T5 lights have to be some of the simplest lighting systems out there so I don't see a need for companies like ATI charging 5-800 for a fixture as if it's gold plated lol. Sounds as ridiculous as airplane parts that companies charge to us at work. lol.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

There's a difference between Radions and evergrows, same as T-5 fixtures. As long as you get good quality bulbs then I'd think your good.

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

THose lights on the link look like a solid deal, even if they dont have individual reflectors!

I was wondering... at Lowes the other day and saw a dual T5 fixture for $40 and they sell 6500k t5 bulbs. Would this work okay for a 55g freshwater with live plants? Im currently running 4 CFO's that I get from Lowes and they're 6500k. If I added this light, I would have more wattage with the same color tempature. Not trying to hijack thread, just thought my question was relevant!

Also -- can we not buy individual reflectors and install them on these cheaper t5 fixtures?

7. rcflyer1388

I've seen individual reflectors on MarineDepot.com that I was planning on getting with this fixture. lol the more info the better! no need to feel like you're hijacking.

Was thinking the same thing...Especially these fixtures come with a 5 year warranty on the ballasts. I really don't see myself spending over $500 on a "fancy" home depot florescent light from ATI, that doesn't even come with a timer. lol....My main reason for change is to try and get a bit of a better coverage and color out of the tank. Not so much that the Evergrow LED's don't work. They worked great so far to date.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

They make a nice 4 bulb fixture at home depot that would work great for freshwater. Not sure if it's HO T5 but for freshwater it doesn't matter. OP, I can't spend 800 dollars in a new light, I've always bought used and refurbished as needed. Personally I think your gonna get better color and growth as long as you spend money on good bulbs. There truly is a difference in bulb quality. I was stunned years ago when I switched to ATI bulbs. Such cool color combos too. I run them with my halides.

10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I dont think the 4 bulb fixture would fit over my 55g... it looked a little wide but I was eyeballing it pretty hard. Its only $10 more than the 2bulb fixture. Not sure on the difference between HO T5 and T5 but at 48" they're all 54w bulbs I believe.

+1 I would also agree with the used and refurbished as needed. This hobby is notorious in that you will not get your money back on equipment! It drops pretty hard from what I can tell, even if it's not badly worn -- when people start to sell their stuff, theyre usually out of the hobby, and want it gone fast.

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

If you have a canopy you could always DIY yourself a fixture inside it. get t5ho ballasts, wiring, sockets and reflectors and you have yourself a fairly inexpensive setup. That is what i have over my 55g and I have never had any issues with it.

12. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

You asked for opinions...

I think they are craptacular. There's no such thing as a good deal on something you probably will not be happy with. In this hobby, it is best to spend the coin on the right gear the first time.

They are cheap because they suck.

Waste of money.