Opinion: Vortex Diatom XL Filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Scoffer, Nov 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

My LFS had one of these in stock, but I've actually found them much cheaper on the net. I'd really like something to get out the floating particles and polish my water. I just dont have the clarity the I wish I had. Any advice or opinion on this thing would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Scoffer

Vortex XL diatom Filter

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have one and I love it. I only run it when I do a tank clean (i.e. blast detritus off the rock and stir the sand a bit) so that's about once every few months. It's also great to run if you're scrubbing hair algae :) I don't believe that it's a good idea to run a filter like that 24/7 on a reef tank.

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Cool!! I just want do the occasional running....

I think with your opinion I might just have to pick one up!!!

Thanks

Sco

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They really are great to have. You'll be amazed at how crystal clear your water is even after only 1 hour of running the filter :)

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I've had a vortex for 20 years or so...LUV IT!! As mentioned by amcarrig:
    This filter will take out stuff as small as a micron, so it will basically polish your water and take out all the pods and everything that is in the water column down to that size. I sure do not think it would hurt every couple of months though.

I have used it extensively on FW tanks for whole tank clean up. Nothing is easier!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Drew

7. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Ok! I just ordered one, so it should be here in a few days!!! hope it does the trick!! Thanks all!!!

Scoffer

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

You can get the diatomaceous earth for the Vortex at a swimming pool place!!

Drew

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

to kill parasites? I'm not sure what diatomaceous earth is...

but cool!!!

Thanks

Scoffer

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Diatomaceous earth is what the Vortex uses as a filter (it'll all make sense when you get the instructions for the filter). You may not get the earth with the filter so contact whoever you ordered it from and ask.

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Sorry about the incomplete post, had to see a man about a vacuum hose. amcarrig is saavy, as usual. The diatomaceous earth is a powder made from the shells structure of diatoms. It is very small and yet very porous. The Vortex usually comes with a charge or two, but when you order more it is more expensive than if you went to your local swimming pool store. I think a #40 bag cost $15 or something like that. The regular Vortex uses 1 cup per charge. I am not sure about the XL. These filters are well worth the expense.

Gotta cockroach problem? Just lay out a 1/2 inch line of diatomaceous earth around the problem area. The roaches get into it and shred themselves because it is abrasive under their exoskeleton. They also take it home ith them!!

Drew