open top vs. canopy

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Devon, Feb 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

It seems to me that the LED craze is pushing reefers to run open top tanks rather than canopy's. I have always been a canopy guy but love the look of LED's. I am currently running M/H under a 8 inch canopy now but very interested in buying LED's. My last tank was a rimless and i liked it, but to many fish jumped out. One thing I don't like is a huge canopy's over tanks. Some i have seen are almost as tall as the tank. Those would have plenty of room for LED's. I guess what I'm saying is can i have my cake and eat it too? I'm looking for a solution to have LEDs under my current canopy. And of course it has to look good!

2. Click Here!

3. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

4. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

Yes, but the canopy was hacked up and there are big holes in the top to leak light al over the room. Also that canopy is at least 12+ inches tall.

5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I just bought 3 x 24" Panorama LED's for my tank build and I plan on running a glass lid. No canopy needed since it is in-wall. Personally I think it is whatever is visually appealing to you. I do like the looks of an open top with LED's above, but there is no reason (in my limited experience) why you just could put a glass, or mesh screen on top to keep your fishes in.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Open top with a mesh screen here; LEDs hung from the ceiling. See my build thread in signature.

7. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

You need to be able to get the fixture a reasonable distance from the water surface. Not sure if you can have a canopy that is only 6" and still be able to have it rest in the proper height

8. Click Here!

9. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

The holes on the top of the canopy let NO light out into the room. They are cut just above the light fixtures to allow air to exit the fans in the fixture. The LEDs are mounted on the bottom of the fixture and the fixture is larger than the holes cut. Light can't bend around the fixture to exit the fan holes :) The only light that leaks out of the canopy is through the back, which is open except for a screen to prevent jumpers. Here's a pic with my living room lights off to show you no light leak. The "hacked up" canopy is absolutely not visible from any viewing angles.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361398748.078735.jpg

10. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

The Panorama LED's are under powered for my corals. Im looking at Radion's or AI. From my waterline to to the top of the canopy is about 10 inches. I already did the open top thing with a screen and it doesnt fit the decor in my house. Wife always said it looked crappy. She likes tanks with a canopy. I dont want to spend 1500-2000 dollars on LED's just to find out they wont work.

11. Devon

Devon Astrea Snail

Annie your right no light leaking out. How tall is your canopy and what is the distance from the waterline to the bottom of the fixture?

12. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

You could always modify your canopy and put them on top of it. Then get some crown moulding or something similar to hide the lights. Mine are about 9-10" from the water and work fine. With LEDs you just have to make sure you have good airflow around the fixture or they will not last. You can build a new custom canopy for less than $100, so don't let your canopy dictate your lights. Find the lights you LOVE and build a canopy to work with them.