Open brain

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by paulg, Apr 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

sorry for your loss

2. Click Here!

3. cornfacereef

cornfacereef Astrea Snail

Oh my sorry to hear about the brain, why do they call them brains are they a smart coral for begginers?

Im very new to this hobby and if anything has the word brain in it, to me it means something smart.

It didn't look that good in the picture, what happened to the brain tissue?

This site is so good to learn from.

4. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

The tissue started out with a small clear/opaque area that started to come off the skeleton. It rapidly declined, iodine dip didnt work, actually seemed to make it worse. The coral was sick when I got it but I tried. Brain coral got their names because of looking like a human brain. There are different species of course, I had an open brain, green in color. Some are ok for beginners, again, they as well as all corals should be set up in a well established tank with proper lighting, circulation, skimming, filtration, etc etc etc. Well either this coral wasnt very smart, lol......But I suspect it was the person I got it from that was not so brainy!

5. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

I personaly would not recomend anyone purchase any coral without lots of reasearch on the type and also most brains and sps corals are a big no no for beginers they tend to be expensive when baught healthy and can be fairly sensitive to tank parameters